FIOS slow - outage?
Tragic1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just ran the Verizon speed test a few times and found that download speeds are only around 5 Mbps.  Upload speeds are higher at 16 Mpbs.  

I also ran Ookla's speed test with similar results.  Given that no one else in the house is actively using a computer, I am wondering if Verizon is having problems.  I've gotten as high as 60 Mbps in the past.  

0 Likes
Re: FIOS slow - outage?
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Only test to verify connection is to speedtest.Verizon.net

that will confirm if you connection to Verizon network is performing up to speed.

0 Likes
Re: FIOS slow - outage?
jonjones1
Legend

@Tragic wrote:

I just ran the Verizon speed test a few times and found that download speeds are only around 5 Mbps.  Upload speeds are higher at 16 Mpbs.  

I also ran Ookla's speed test with similar results.  Given that no one else in the house is actively using a computer, I am wondering if Verizon is having problems.  I've gotten as high as 60 Mbps in the past.  

It would be better if you said what speeds you are provisioned for.

if you turn off QOS on your router the speed will increase. If you use a direct connect from your computer to the router it should be faster. If you try speed tests via wifi the speeds can be cut as much as 50% and depending on the device and it's wifi radio band selection it can be less than 50%.

0 Likes