FIOS speed over wireless question
drq2q1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am getting FIOS 35/35 service. Over TCP it tests consistantly at that level. When I use the wireless router that was provided the best I've been able to get is about 21/20. I've tried all the various channels on the router and am fairly sure that location and interference are not an issue. I'm running a Mac with an airport extreme card. My question is, is 60% of capacity relatively normal for wireless or should I expect more? THANKS!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS speed over wireless question
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

On a wireless connection 21/20 is an excellent result. I would not expect to see much improvement no matter what you try. Now it doesnt hurt to try but I would not hold my breath for much improvement. Most do not even come close to the speeds you are getting. Shoot, I only see half that when I use wireless, which admittedly is rarely.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

wireless has it's own set of unique problems, I've sometimes been able to get a pc to do wireless over 30 mb, but it's questionable at best, and even though the wifi shows 54 and excellent strength, it can still be spotty as heck.   I'd live with it personally but if you have to have faster than that on wireless, try piggy backing a wireless N router or a add on antenna.   the fios router antenna is interchangeable.   

also make sure the wireless is optimized using the Verizon optimer.

windows 7 users can't simply go to that website and optimize, they have to run internet explorer in admin mode, and then go to the optimizer website

www.verizon.net/optimize

drq2q1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the input. I have a MAC so I can't run the optimizer and the Apple version isn't recommended for airport. I did piggyback my old router but I think it's a G. I'm going to take your suggestion and see if I can borrow a N router to try.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

s have their own broadband tuner's    you should download the broadband tuner for the mac, and run that.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

On a wireless connection 21/20 is an excellent result. I would not expect to see much improvement no matter what you try. Now it doesnt hurt to try but I would not hold my breath for much improvement. Most do not even come close to the speeds you are getting. Shoot, I only see half that when I use wireless, which admittedly is rarely.

0 Likes
drq2q1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the advice everyone. I ran Apple's optimizer and fiddled with channels and I'm getting 22/19 now pretty consistantly. That's fine for what I need.

0 Likes
Zamees

I'm curious to know if the N router and N wirless card would increase your speeds. I think thats your limiting factor here.

0 Likes