FIOS upload speed dropped dramatically
RogueProgrammer

In the past week my upload speed has dropped to below 1MBps.  I am paying for the 25/15 MBps plan, so I should be getting around 15MBps.

I first saw the slow upload speeds using www.speedtest.net.  I then downloaded and ran the "In Home Agent" and it showed the same info.  I tried to use the "Feedback form" in the Agent, but it just comes up with a blank screen.

I also tried to use the online email support, but when I select Technical Support in the drop down, it takes me to a search page and if I search for "slow internet connection" (or anything else) the Verizon website comes back with Zip Code not found, so I can never report it via email.

Is anyone else in the Denton, TX area experiencing slow upload speeds???

- Ken

Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: FIOS upload speed dropped dramatically
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Is UPnP enabled in the router?

#2 Are you forwarding any ports in the router to any computers?

0 Likes
RogueProgrammer

> #1 Is UPnP enabled in the router?

Under Advanced/Universal Plug and Play I have the following two options:

Allow Other Network Users to Control Wireless Broadband Router's Network Features
    Enable Automatic Cleanup of Old Unused UPnP Services

Only the first "Allow Other Network Users to Control Wireless Broadband Router's Network Features" is checked.

> #2 Are you forwarding any ports in the router to any computers?

No.  To diagnose this I disconnected ALL computers and disabled the Wireless connection.  I then ran the verizon speed tests and also the Optimize Settings.

I spent over an hour on the phone with Verizon and the best they could do was "we'll send you a new Router/Modem".  The front line support had a chat open with a tech support person who actually got to a point where she told him that "it is not our problem", because the PC I tested on had a RWIN setting of 65335 and it should have been over 1 million.  Since it was a VISTA PC and if she had ANY technical knowledge she would have known that RWIN cannot be set directly under VISTA and is dynamically set by Windows Vista.  Because of that I switched to another PC that was running XP and it has the RWIN value over 1 million.  Still got the same results, but by that time the tech support lady had closed the chat with my front line support guy because in her words "it wasn't her problem".  Talk about lousy support.  If I could have gotten her name (I tried) I would have reported it to her manager.

Luckily for me the front line support guy wasn't willing to give up and waited while I ran all the same tests on the XP machine, ran the Optimize settings, rebooted and checked the performance again.  Still got between 0.5 MBps and 4 MBps, depending on the test (I ran it about 20 times).  I also ran a ping test using www.pingtest.net and consistently got 10%-12% packet loss.  My Ping times for the test were around 40-50 ms (way too high), with the "jitter" around 40 ms.

When I ran into similar issues 4 months ago they offered this as a solution too.  In fact they sent 3 routers before finally sending a tech out.  He found there has a large DB loss and installed some splitters and filters on the coax.

Everything has been working fine until a few days ago.  Nothing has changed on my end.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

First start off by unchecking Allow Other Network Users to Control Wireless Broadband Router's Network Features.

If that does not help with the speed issue, please post.

0 Likes
RogueProgrammer

That didn't make any difference.  I had a tech come out, he saw the same issues.  He then replaced the outside box, and the router with a Westell.  Still had the same problem, so he made another call only to find out that we have an outage in our neighborhood.

The good news is it should be fixed by tomorrow AND I now have MOCA instead of via CAT5.  The bad news... The Westell seems to have issues with Port Forwarding that the Actiontec Router didn't.  I am very experienced with port forwarding and had no problem setting up the Actiontech to open a port for my Subversion server.  However, with the Westell it doesn't work.

Is there any help on Port Forwarding for the Westell Ultraline Series 3 9100EM?  I've done a few searches on google and the help has been along the lines of the steps used by the Actiontec, but it just doesn't work.  There is some talk about using a DMZ with the Westell, but why should I need that when I never needed it with the Actiontec.

Also, the Actiontec would let you pick from a computer on the network for the "Networked Computer or Device".  The Westell just has an empty edit box that you can type an IP or computer name.  if you use an IP the it resolves it ok, but if you type the computer name it resolves it sometimes, but not othertimes when you refresh the page.

Sadly I cannot go back to using the Actiontec since it gets the Ethernet from the CAT5 connect that the Tech disabled.

Can someone point me to a GOOD tutorial on setting up Port Forwarding on the Westell?  Something like port 21 (FTP) or any other port?

Thanks,

Ken

0 Likes
RogueProgrammer

Never mind about the port fowarding issue.  If you specify a Network Address then it doesn't work.  If you uncheck that box then everything works fine.  The part that confused me is that the Port Forwarding list that is displayed is in a different format than for the Actiontec, and since I had to specify that for the Actiontec I was doing the same to make the list view look the same.

Bottom line, do NOT select a Network Address for port forwarding on the Westell 9100.

0 Likes
thetestisover

I've been having this same issue; also in Denton. Talked to Verizon support twice, they're sending out a new router... but it doesn't sound like that'll fix it.

Hopefully this gets taken care of soon...

0 Likes
b1942

I have the same problem, replaced the modem, no change. Called Verizon again, spent another wasted hour trying to get a "person" finally got one. Usual script, do everything I had just finished doing. FINALLY, they scheduled a technician visit. Within the hour I received a phone call that the problem was with the system and the technician visit was cancelled. Still no change, FIOS has digressed to a glorified "dial-up" connection. I took my primary computer over to my daughters house hooked up to Time Warner and guess what? Smoked the FIOS performance. Well, my 1 year contract will be up the middle of the month and I am already talking to Time Warner. Best of luck to you with verizon.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

I do not know for sure, but here are my educated guess(es).

#1 Wireless in the router is turned on, but you did not change the default key (WEP)?

#2 Small/Tiny NAT Table. I point to:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16233

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

0 Likes