FIOS wi-fi internet speed
Noshow1
Enthusiast - Level 2

We have an HP lap top in another room that is not connected to the router as the other computer is.  Respone time is drastically slower. Is their a wi-fi problem? Should we have it wired to the router? 

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS wi-fi internet speed
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Having a wired connection is the fastest way but there should not be a need to do that since the purpose of a laptop is to be wireless.

How far is the router from the laptop in your husbands hobby room?  You can always try changing the channels on the router by doing the following:

Open the browser and go to:

http://192.168.1.1 

Logon to the router with username admin and password is password or password1

Choose Wireless settings from the top

Choose Basic Security Settings from the left side

Option 3 is to change the channel.  The default is auto.  Try either channels 1,6, or 11

See if this increases the speed on the laptop.

Jim

View solution in original post

jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Wired connections are always faster than wireless connections.  You never know what's going on in the RF space around you.  Are you able to determine what SSID you connect to?  Does it match the SSID on the sticker on the Verizon provided router?

If you move closer to the wireless router, does the speed increase?

Jim

Noshow1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Speed increases closer to router but want it to remain in spouse's 'hobby' room. SSID is over my head technically. Verizon can run another cable from her room to the router at my location through the attic can't they? That's best solution  for speed isn't it?

jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Having a wired connection is the fastest way but there should not be a need to do that since the purpose of a laptop is to be wireless.

How far is the router from the laptop in your husbands hobby room?  You can always try changing the channels on the router by doing the following:

Open the browser and go to:

http://192.168.1.1 

Logon to the router with username admin and password is password or password1

Choose Wireless settings from the top

Choose Basic Security Settings from the left side

Option 3 is to change the channel.  The default is auto.  Try either channels 1,6, or 11

See if this increases the speed on the laptop.

Jim

Noshow1
Enthusiast - Level 2

My wife's HP is about 25 ft. from router on a straight line through walls.

When I click on your link or enter, I get the Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage. Diagnhostic says pinged router but no response. It cannot diagnosis problem. 

mmerc
Enthusiast - Level 1

Jim -

By FAR, that is the best advice I have EVER seen. My iPad speed was sluggish, and laptop speed tolerable. Moving to Channel '6' made my iPad scream! 

Keep posting! 

mmerc