1geobella2

how is it when cables out side of house are not fiber over 10 years old. but verizon is saying we have the speed in the house I don't understand how this posible please enlighten me

0 Likes
Re: FIOS
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I'm not sure I understand your question.

Are you saying you have FiOS service and aren't getting the speeds your plan should provide?

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

@1geobella2 wrote:

how is it when cables out side of house are not fiber over 10 years old. but verizon is saying we have the speed in the house I don't understand how this posible please enlighten me

Verizon runs a fiber optic drop wire from the pole to the house which is connected to a optical network terminal. The ONT converts the light signal from the fiber so that the coaxial cable and phones wires in the house can be used.

0 Likes
1geobella2

at what point and time did verizon start useing fiber optic? the cables to house are under ground and nothing was ran when intsalation was done a few years ago. this house is over 30 years old the only place new coxail was in the house, nothing new from point of under ground  

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

FIOS service has always been fiber (that's what the F stands for).

If you have an ONT (big box on the wall outside) the cable going up to it is Fiber.

Output of it would be coax for TV and 2 wire for phone service.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Do you have fios or DSL?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

10-12 years ago is when FiOS was created, however most of Verizon's service area does not have the service. Many still use copper or have been sold off. FiOS is centered around a number of large cities.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

FYI, you're talking to other cusotmers here.  We only know what you tell us.  You really need to tell us if you're subscribed to FiOS services or not.

As has been pointed out, if you have FiOS, you'll have a big box called an ONT installed at your home.  It can be installed outside or inside.  Typical outside installations will be near where the old phone line is located.  Inside is usually near where the old phone line enters the building.  But this can vary.

The ONT requires power, so there will be a Verizon box plugged into an outlet somewhere inside the home.  If the ONT is outside, it's a separate box or boxes with a power cable running between it and the ONT.  Inside installs may be one big box with power and ONT, or two or three seperate boxes.

When FiOS is first installed a fiber optic drop line is run to the home.  This usually occurs a week or so before the actual customer install date.  Underground installs often occur without the homeowner noticing, as the ground is barely distributed due to the type of burial equipment used.  It's quite possible you just didn't notice when the fiber drop line was installed.

Tell us more about what you have and what your questions are, and you should get some helpful answers and suggestions.

Enjoy.

0 Likes