“FREE TRIAL SUBSCRIPTION”
Fizzicyst
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have had Verizon Fios since 2006 when it was first installed in my area. From the very beginning, my service included phone, internet and an assortment of HD channels that came as a package with the HD box. For the most part, I have been satisfied with the Verizon Fios service. That was until Monday February, 18, 2019 when I lost all of my HD channels.

Initially, I thought there was a problem with the TV or the set top box or the cable connections, but that was not the case. After several communications with Verizon Customer Service I learned that, unbeknownst to me, Verizon had changed my plan and issued me a “Free trial subscription” to their Custom TV Home and Family package. I did not notice this change because I already had HD channels and have had them since I first got Fios 12 years ago. That doesn’t sound like a problem, does it?  But, the plot thickens!

When the 3-month “Free trial subscription”, expired in February, Verizon took away all of the HD channels that I had been paying for the past 12 years! They told me that I only had local TV – Really? Then why have I been paying for an HD box for the past 12 years? On top of that, they increased my bill. So now I am paying more for less. I finally realized that this was just a scam designed to increase existing customer rates. I call it the “Free Trial Subscription Scam”. I am sure that I am not the only person who is a victim of this scam. I intend to report this to the FCC and the Maryland Attorney General’s office. Maryland is well aware of Verizon’s unethical/illegal tactics. Previously, they found Verizon guilty of fraud and required them to pay $1.37 million to Maryland consumers as well as a $750,000 fine and $75,000 in other costs to the state of Maryland.

Prior to the “scam”, I was paying $108.62/mo for a landline that I never use, Internet (75/75), an HD box and an assortment of HD channels that came in a package with the HD box. Post “scam” I am paying $121.65 for a landline that I never use, Internet (75/75), Local Channels (that I can get free with an antenna) and an HD box (but no HD channels).

The $64,000 question…. How much ransom do I have to pay to get my HD channels back?  Since I have been a loyal, long term customer for the past twelve years, surely Verizon will give me a fair, competitive price – not a chance!  My written quote for a dual package that includes internet (75/75) and Custom TV is $156.70/mo. However, if I was a new customer I could get Fios Triple Play Connection which includes ultra-fast Gigabit Internet (up to 940/880), Custom TV, and Digital phone service for only $79.99/mo ($69.99/mo with self-install). Plus, they throw in 1 year of Netflix premium service for free. So much for being a loyal, long term customer!

So, what are my options? I could:

- cancel and have someone else in my household subscribe to Fios as a new customer

- cancel and wait the designated time to be considered a new customer.

- switch to X-finity or other internet provider.

- use my Hotspot

Riddle me this Verizon - why should a loyal, long term customer have to play these silly games in order to get a fair, competitive price?

0 Likes
Re: “FREE TRIAL SUBSCRIPTION”
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Fizzicyst,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Please check your Private Message Inbox for a message from Verizon_Support. You can find your Inbox by clicking on your username at the top right corner of this page. Please direct all correspondence concerning your issue to the agents who will be assisting you privately.

0 Likes