FTP going away
pat10555
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am sad that I have to find another way to get my weather station data to a web site. I sure wish I would have had more than 1 days notice before stopping the service.

This really is an inconvenience for me, but there will be weather data lost if the weather station owner is using Verizon.

I wonder if the price is going to go down since Verizon decided to cut some of its service?

Re: FTP going away
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's a known fact in business that cutting something usually does not bring down prices unless it seriously cuts operating costs enough to the point where the business has to reduce gross revenue for the sake of cutting down tax-related expenses. FTP is nothing for a company such as Verizon to operate; it can be ran using little resources on the same web servers hosting your website currently.

I did get an e-mail a few hours ago, and while FTP is going away, you have until August 22nd to get your data from FTP if you don't already have a copy of your site already stored on your PC. It's unfortunate that a Bread and Butter protocol of web site management is being taken away, but what can you do besides move on. There are Free Web Hosting companies around on the Internet that do support FTP and should be suitable enough to run your website. I help out over at a web hosting company on my free time called x10Hosting. They do have a Free Hosting package which should be enough to host any website you have on Verizon's servers. Definitely give them or another web host a look while you have the chance to do so.

0 Likes
Personal Webspace
xcalibur4
Enthusiast - Level 2

Anyone know if we will be able to use FTP to upload files not pertaing to a website ??

I use my Personal Webspace to store JPG files that I have of items I sell on eBay, etc.

If I can not use FTP, is there another way to upload files to Personal Webspace ??  Site Builder is not an option.

Thanks......

LYL
Enthusiast - Level 1

My concern is not that I need to access my verizon web page with FTP, I was unsure from the Verizon message if maybe Verizon was planning to block ALL FTP communication to ANY servers. I could not read their message and come to a conclusion. If they block ALL FTP connections to any server, that is going to be a major problem for me and many other people. Does anyone know the answers to this?  Will I still be able to use the FTP protocol to access other web servers?

LYL
Enthusiast - Level 1

I occasionally work from home, using a VPN connection back to my office, sometimes using Remote Desktop. Wonder if VPN and Remote Desktop connections will be blocked too? 

0 Likes
jimfo1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I called customer service this morning regarding the email about losing FTP access. The person I spoke to did not know much about the policy change (it might have been nice of Verizon to brief their reps before sending out the email). He put me on hold to find out more, then he told me that the email I received was more for business customers and it should not apply to me because I'm residential.  However, I don't completely believe that and I said would call back in a week when customers service learns more.

Personally I'll be furious if this is true. I can not tolerate losing my FTP access to my personal website.

Question to Verizon: WHY???

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If Verizon blocked FTP access to ALL Servers, that would be downright insane. It's going to get a ton of people angry. There are many places I download files from that only offer the files via FTP since they are too large to be practical to download from an HTTP server, or they are being downloaded on fast enough of connections to where an optimized FTP Client such as FileZilla is absolutely needed. Believe me, that won't end will at all if FTP was blocked on a global basis.

I do use a VPN to my web server right now for IPv6 connectivity since I do not have native access to it via Verizon yet. I could always shoot my FTP traffic down that, but why do that? I don't believe Verizon is a mom and pop ISP, so there is really no reason to block FTP solely on the fact that it isn't used for residential purposes or it's for security reasons.

0 Likes
Re: Personal Webspace
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

As of right now FTP can probably be used to upload files, however in a month's time that ability will be taken away. An e-mail was sent out to everyone about FTP access being removed last night. As of right now I would say it's a good bet that you should look into getting a web hosting company, either free or paid, preferably paid to upload your data to. I'm a person who has been suggesting x10Hosting to everyone, so you might want to take a look at them.

0 Likes
crabbybob1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I use my website mostly for posting pictures to message boards.  Does anyone know if I'll have to use Verizon's god-awful web authoring tool to do that?  It used to be a simple process, just ftp the file over.

Verizon can spin it as providing better service by increasing security, but it's really just an anti-consumer change of service made for Verizon's benefit.  As a long time customer I wish they had at least respected me enough to be honest.

Thank goodness my personal website is hosted by another company.

Re: Personal Webspace
xcalibur4
Enthusiast - Level 2

I looked into X10HOSTING......from what I read, you need to have a web site(page) and any files uploaded to your web page have to pertain to that web page.......correct me if I am wrong...........