FTP setup with Actiontec MI424WR router
bodekms

I've been banging my head against the wall for a few hours now.

I have a FTP server/device on my network (which I can access just fine internally).  However, I'm not able to access it from outside my network.

I've forwarded ports 20 & 21 (TCP/UDP) to the device.  It prompts me for my credentials (and will re-prompt me if I type an incorrect username/password), but once I enter valid credentials it gives me error messages (IE says "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage").

I also have disabled the firewall software on my computer, and set the firewall on the router to "Low", which supposed allows all inbound/outbound traffic.

But it looks like inbound gets there, it's just a problem w/ the outbound (since it gets to the FTP server's authentication process).

Any ideas?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: FTP setup with Actiontec MI424WR router
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bodekms wrote:

I've been banging my head against the wall for a few hours now.

I have a FTP server/device on my network (which I can access just fine internally).  However, I'm not able to access it from outside my network.

I've forwarded ports 20 & 21 (TCP/UDP) to the device.  It prompts me for my credentials (and will re-prompt me if I type an incorrect username/password), but once I enter valid credentials it gives me error messages (IE says "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage").

I also have disabled the firewall software on my computer, and set the firewall on the router to "Low", which supposed allows all inbound/outbound traffic.

But it looks like inbound gets there, it's just a problem w/ the outbound (since it gets to the FTP server's authentication process).

Any ideas?

Probably because it's in passive (PASV) mode and using a random port.

You'd be better off to use something like Filezilla server that allows you more control of the ports that are in use.  You could then define a range of ports to be used in passive mode and forward them too.  Better still would be to use a Secure Ftp server

I'd also suggest that you don't use the standard FTP ports of 20/21 as you'll find your bandwith width being chewed up by the streams of hackers attempting to break into your server.

russmlynn

I had the exact same problem. I just got off the phone with Actiontec techical help and they told me the issue is that the MI424WR router does not support loopback. When the tech attempted to connect to my FTP site with my external IP, he entered the ftp account and password and got right in. Basically, you can't test this from within your home network, because of the non-loopback support. You will have to ask a friend or neighbor to test it for you. Or connect to another network OUTSIDE YOUR NETWORK to test.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

If you use the actiontec contact us form, they will mail you back with the specific instructions.   we had a user on here about a year ago with the same problem, and he resolved it by using the contact us form on the actiontec website. 

0 Likes