Fast Upload, Slow Download
mpmarra
Enthusiast - Level 1

Over the last few days, our internet download speeds have been drastically reduced. We are currently getting about 1-2mb/s download speeds. However, our upload speeds are about 40-50 mb/s. We are not sure if it is our router that is acting up or if it is something on Verizon's end. I talked with a Verizon rep today and they did not have an answer. They just said they would have to send someone out to the house.

Has anyone ever experienced this before? I have gone through all the general troubleshooting steps but have had no luck.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fast Upload, Slow Download
Treeeater
Enthusiast - Level 3

NoVA user here - seems that the issues have been resolved. Thank you Verizon although it's a bit slow.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are these lower speeds only occurring at night or do they take place at all times of the day and night?

0 Likes
Umask

I'm getting 2.3 Mbps download, 63.3 Mbps upload on a wired network.  My service is FIOS 50/50.  I tried another computer and I'm getting about 3.x Mbps download, 63+ upload.  Could this have anything to do with the switchover to daylight savings time today?

0 Likes
TigerRider

Well, I just got my 50/50 connection today and boy was I excited.  And you know what?  Verizon IS NOT LYING when they say the speed is "Up to" 50 MBytes.  Of course, 9 MBytes download is, technically, Up to 50, just like getting a pint of gas when you pay Up To $4 a gallon.  Actually, for paying money to double my speed from 25 to 50 and getting 9 is inexcusable.  I thought it might be my wireless connection up my Upload is 45 MBPS, so it's moving the data.  No, I assume Verizon is throttling back internet-only users because they don't want them to use 'other' streaming video services.

9 MBPS when I pay for 50?  I have a better idea Verizon, charge me for the bandwidth I actually use, not a bogus up to speed.  Maybe I should pay up to $135 a month...

0 Likes
TigerRider

Why should it matter?  If you were charged $4 for a loaf of bread and only received a quarter of it, would you care that it was 6 PM?  Would you object if you only received up to a loaf of bread because of the time of day?  I pay a whole lot of money and expect to get the product I paid for.  That simple.

0 Likes
mcgregorkd
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is clearly a server-side problem.  I am also getting download speeds that vary greatly.  Last night I was down to under 1mbps, this morning I thought the problem was resolved when I tested at 60mbps, but a few minutes ago I tested at 14mbps.  Upload speeds have remained at roughly 60mbps.

Are others experiencing this issue in the Maryland area?

Treeeater
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes sir! I'm in the northern Virginia area and I'm experiencing just that. Talked to the representatives and all they give is some **bleep** like rebooting the router and check for antivirus. And I can't even ask for a repair because the only time they would come in is between 8am and 5pm, and the download speed problem won't show up until past 6pm or so.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I am not seeing any issues here in Md.

I am part of a broadband monitoring effort (Verizon knows nothing about it) for the FCC.

I get reports of the hourly data that is tested.

You can see by the graph below, other than a few random hours, I don't see any issues.

mcgregorkd
Enthusiast - Level 2

CRob, does this mean we are left only to conclude that Verizon is illegally throttling internet speeds of customers?  I was hoping it was a server issue on their part, not something purposeful.

0 Likes
skimike
This started happening to me on Saturday. I have the 150 service and I was getting 160 up and... between 1 and 6 down, and the quality of that 1-to-6 was very bad. Prior to Saturday, the service has been rock solid. The tier 1 support ran through the basics of rebooting the ONT and router, neither of which corrected the problem. I had a tech scheduled to come out today but the problem resolved itself sometime between 10pm and 8am. It is, however, manifesting itself again. Running the test against speedtest.verizon.net right now, I'm currently getting 12Mbit down and 160Mbit up. Northern Virginia here.
0 Likes