Re: Fast Upload, Slow Download
Treeeater
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just got off online chat with a rep. (had to queue for 40 mins just to speak with her) She told me they are aware this is a wide spread issue around nova/md. engineers are working on it and it may take 24 hours or more to resolve this.

I hope she's not lying about the whole acknowledgement thing. I mean I can wait for more than 24 hours AS LONG AS IT FINALLY RESOLVES, but I want to make sure they are AWARE of this and are WORKING on this.

OUTAGEinVA
Enthusiast - Level 2

0 Likes
KGB7
Enthusiast - Level 2

Had same issue last night on the 9th of March around 10pm, issue got resolved after 2am on its own after i spoke to customer service and they did tell me there was an issue and engineers were working on it.

Today same issue came back after 6pm on the 10th of March.  7/28 on 50/50 service.

Here is what i did to resolve it, YMMV.

Log in to the router and release the IP, right after turn off the modem and wait 10min.

Reset ONT.

Turn ON the Fios Router and you should get a new IP.

Do a speed test to VA server and NY server to verify that you getting your full speed on both test servers.

If the issue is not resolved, then call Verizon and open another ticket.

Its been 5 hours since i used the steps above and im getting my full 50/50 speeds.

edit:

Two of my friends live in Silver Spring, 1/8 of a mile apart from each other, down the street from Wheaton Mall and they had no issues. I live on the border between Rockville and Bethesda.

ashrader330
Enthusiast - Level 2

I tried what KGB7 mentioned about unplugging the router for 10 minutes and it did not fix my issue. I am in northern Prince William county by the way.

0 Likes
nayborhood

I'm in the DC/NOVA area as well and I'm just noticing this today. On 75/75 and am getting ~3/65, improving as it gets later, past midnight. I've had Fios for a few if not several years now and never noticed this before. Spent the last several hours trying to troubleshoot on my own and then with Verizon on the phone (worthless). Until I read this thread, I thought it was a problem with my router or something else physical -- splittlers, coax, line into my house. Even setup an appointment for a tech to come out this week and look at it. Now I'm starting to think otherwise.

...What the hell happened?!

0 Likes
OUTAGEinVA
Enthusiast - Level 2

Almost 2 am and I'm back to a 50/50. 

Just like clockwork, it's almost like their infastructure can't support their users durring peak hours.

schm096
Enthusiast - Level 2

Status Update on March 11, 2015 @ 1:30 AM

I ran a new Verizon SpeedTest to their Reston server before going to bed and lo and behold my download speed is back up to 58.36 Mbps and my upload speed is 64.23 Mpbs.  These are the speeds I normally achieve with the Verizon FIOS Internet 50/50 package.

I have also tested the download/upload speeds using SpeedTest.Net to three different servers up and down the east coast and now get similar readings:

• 58.26Mbps Download, 63.12Mbps Upload - Manassas, VA (<50 miles)
  • 58.45Mbps Download, 64.48Mbps Upload - Philladelphia, PA (~ 150 miles)
  • 57.91Mbps Download, 53.62Mbps Upload - New York City, NY (~ 250 miles)

As you can see, it appears the Verizon engineers may have fixed the issue with their internal network routers.

However, I am not quite ready to say Verizon has fixed their problem quite yet.  I am intrigued by OUTAGEinVA reporting the time sensitive nature of their outage.  I am going to keep doing SpeedTests throughout the day to see whether the download speed problem occurs at specific time periods during the day.

0 Likes
OUTAGEinVA
Enthusiast - Level 2

@schm096 wrote:

@Status Update on March 11, 2015 @ 1:30 AM

I ran a new Verizon SpeedTest to their Reston server before going to bed and lo and behold my download speed is back up to 58.36 Mbps and my upload speed is 64.23 Mpbs.  These are the speeds I normally achieve with the Verizon FIOS Internet 50/50 package.

I have also tested the download/upload speeds using SpeedTest.Net to three different servers up and down the east coast and now get similar readings:

• 58.26Mbps Download, 63.12Mbps Upload - Manassas, VA (<50 miles)
  • 58.45Mbps Download, 64.48Mbps Upload - Philladelphia, PA (~ 150 miles)
  • 57.91Mbps Download, 53.62Mbps Upload - New York City, NY (~ 250 miles)

As you can see, it appears the Verizon engineers may have fixed the issue with their internal network routers.

However, I am not quite ready to say Verizon has fixed their problem quite yet.  I am intrigued by OUTAGEinVA reporting the time sensitive nature of their outage.  I am going to keep doing SpeedTests throughout the day to see whether the download speed problem occurs at specific time periods during the day.

I doubt it, It's been like this for me for 3 days now, ~2am - ~9am is perfect, the rest of the day is 2/50

0 Likes
KGB7
Enthusiast - Level 2

If you going to do a speed test, then use all Verizons servers across the country to get the most consistent and accurate results.

Anything outside of Verizon network by using sites such as speedtest.net, then you are more likely to get  inconsistent results do to too many variables and fluctuations do to use of other networks and issues they might be having at any given time. Thus test results might be skewed or inconsistant.

0 Likes
sumarlidason
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've been testing morning and evening, 8PM-1AM & 8:30-9:30 and consistently got about 3-7Mbps.

As of this morning I got normal rates,

If I am seeing this tonight, Its probably fixed for me.

0 Likes