Faxing problems with FIOS and phone, Which make and model fax machine works with VOIP
NJGirl07

Hi All

Recently I had to switch from Verizon DSL for FIOS since I was told DSL was not available in the area I moved to. I have FIOS for internet and phone and I can no longer fax from my fax software on my XP windows operating system.  I get a message that states no device connected.

I have plugged the phone connection into the phone jack and into the back of my computer with a dial tone just like I did with DSL and nothing but device not connected.

I was told to buy a new fax machine since the one I have is an all in one from 2003.  If buying a new fax machine is the answer and I have to fax directly from a fax machine I will. The problem is that I have not read any consistent info anywhere as far as which model fax machine will work with FIOS or I hear this VOIP a lot.  I get the feeling my fax is not compatible with digital transmission or the fax software and modem in my  pc.

Again, I would like to hear from someone that has the similar problem and was able to resolve it with a new fax machine.  If so I would like to know which make and model I can purchase that will work.

I understand it has to do with the type of data transmission but again no consistent info how to fix the problem. I am not up on the computer lingo so if someone replies please spell it out in non computer lingo.  I don't want to have to pay for a separate fax service when I didn't even need the FIOS and was happy with DSL, but was forced to switch as Verizon said it was not offered in my area.

0 Likes
Re: Faxing problems with FIOS and phone, Which make and model fax machine works with VOIP
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sorry for the computer/network/telephone lingo, but I must...

#1 You heard the dial tone on the RJ-11 (telephone) cable, good 🙂

#2 The RJ-11 cable is connected to a RJ-11 jack and not the RJ-45 (computer network) jack on the back of the modem that is either connected to OR a part of your computer, good 🙂

#3 If your modem has more than one RJ-11 jack, try using another jack.

#4 What is the brand and model of this modem? (Perhaps it is a DSL modem) ?

#5 On your XP computer, right click on my computer on the desktop and go to properties

b) OR go to Start -> Control Panel -> Performance and Maintenace -> System.

#6 Go to the hardware tab, and go to the device manager.

#7 In there, most likely it is set to Devices by Type. If not in it, go to View and select Devices by Type.

#8 The modem is not disabled OR it does not have a warning sign?

#8 Note There maybe more than one modem.

^^^

Re: Faxing problems with FIOS and phone, Which make and model fax machine works with VOIP
DCGTLS
Enthusiast - Level 3

By chance did you connect the filter between the fax and the phone jack that you used when you had DSL? If you did that could be the problem, get rid of it since you no longer need them now that you have fios.

0 Likes