Fed up with blocked emails and blacklisted IPs from Verizon
coopege3

Have been struggling with blocked emails and getting no help from Verizon.  When sending emails via Outlook, most are rejected whether we create them or just forward them.  Sometimes we get a spam notice, but most of the time they just disappear.  Have contacted Verizon support and they have changed the outgoing port number with no improvement.  They blame the signature block we attach to emails, but removing doesn't seem to improve anything.  They say we can't contact the spam people except by email, but that doesn't seem to get any response.  Meanwhile, the IPs that Verizon assigns us are on the blacklist.  Verizon says this has nothing to do with the problem, but I have to think that it does.  Would appreciate some help!

0 Likes
Re: Fed up with blocked emails and blacklisted IPs from Verizon
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

1. What is the error you are getting? (When you get one.)

2. Have you tried sending the message from webmail?

3. Which blacklist are you referring to?

4. You will not get an email back from the people at spamdetector.update@verizon.net - This is stated clearly in the FAQ: http://www.verizon.net/spamfaq

0 Likes
coopege3

Here is a typical response from a search at mxtoolbox.com:

Listed 2 times with 3 timeouts.

Blacklist Status Reason TTL ResponseTime SORBS-DUHL  LISTED Dynamic IP Addresses See: Detail
Return codes were: 127.0.0.10 3600 328 Spamhaus-ZEN  LISTED Detail
Return codes were: 127.0.0.10 900 374

We also use a Net work Solutions mailbox and Spamhouse is their third party spam detection service.  So, I have to think this is never going to work!

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Verizon doesn't control the blacklist at Spamhaus. The outbound spam filter has been implemented along with other measures as part of an effort to prevent that type of block for Verizon IP addresses, but until spammers are wiped from the planet, blacklisting is going to happen.

To get off of the list, you have 2 options:

Appeal to Spamhaus to remove your IP here. Since you have a dynamic IP address, you will have to do this every time you get a  blacklisted IP.

-OR-

You can get a static IP address from Verizon. This is the best solution for most businesses.

NOYB
Enthusiast - Level 2

What  outgoing mail server are you using with Outlook?

0 Likes
NOYB
Enthusiast - Level 2

@somegirl wrote:

Verizon doesn't control the blacklist at Spamhaus. The outbound spam filter has been implemented along with other measures as part of an effort to prevent that type of block for Verizon IP addresses, but until spammers are wiped from the planet, blacklisting is going to happen.

To get off of the list, you have 2 options:

Appeal to Spamhaus to remove your IP here. Since you have a dynamic IP address, you will have to do this every time you get a  blacklisted IP.

-OR-

You can get a static IP address from Verizon. This is the best solution for most businesses.

Verizon does control the PBL though for their IP address blocks.  Go to Spamhaus and read up on the PBL.

Typically dynamic IP addresses are listed in the PBL.  This is normal and only an issue for those who wish to host their own MTA with service provisioned with a dynamic IP address.

0 Likes
sleepysurf

Just ran into this problem BIG TIME starting today.  Every single email that my wife and I have tried to send this afternoon, that includes any URL, is getting rejected as SPAM.  This has been a royal pain, especially for my wife, who works out of her home office.  There is clearly a MAJOR issue with this SPAM filter, and if they don't address it pronto, I smell a class-action lawsuit!  My wife hasn't been able to send web links out to her clients who are scheduled for an important business conference call tonight.

0 Likes
NOYB
Enthusiast - Level 2

@sleepysurf wrote:

Just ran into this problem BIG TIME starting today.  Every single email that my wife and I have tried to send this afternoon, that includes any URL, is getting rejected as SPAM.  This has been a royal pain, especially for my wife, who works out of her home office.  There is clearly a MAJOR issue with this SPAM filter, and if they don't address it pronto, I smell a class-action lawsuit!  My wife hasn't been able to send web links out to her clients who are scheduled for an important business conference call tonight.

Is this with residential or business service?

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Verizon controls the list of addresses that they assign dynamically, which tells Spamhaus when to block mail coming directly from those IPs. This happens if you are running a mail server from your network, which is against the TOS for Verizon residential accounts. If you are using Verizon's mail servers though, you are not sending mail directly from your dynamically-assigned IP. The PBL list would not affect customers sending through Verizon's servers.

The other lists that Spamhaus uses are controlled by Spamhaus, and THOSE are the ones that are blocking mail from senders using Verizon's servers.

0 Likes
NOYB
Enthusiast - Level 2

@somegirl wrote:

Verizon controls the list of addresses that they assign dynamically, which tells Spamhaus when to block mail coming directly from those IPs. This happens if you are running a mail server from your network, which is against the TOS for Verizon residential accounts. If you are using Verizon's mail servers though, you are not sending mail directly from your dynamically-assigned IP. The PBL list would not affect customers sending through Verizon's servers.

The other lists that Spamhaus uses are controlled by Spamhaus, and THOSE are the ones that are blocking mail from senders using Verizon's servers.

1) The only Spamhaus list the IP address provided by the original posters is listed in is the PBL (addresses specified by Verizon as not authorized to be use for hosting MTA's).

2) Spamhaus does not block any mail at all.  None, zip, nada.  Users of Spamhaus lists, such as myself and many other mail system operators are the ones who do the blocking, totally at their own discretion.

0 Likes