Re: Fed up with blocked emails and blacklisted IPs from Verizon
coopege3

I have read all of this and done as much research as I can on the spam blacklists with no real results.  We are not running a mail server of our own, and we aren't doing anything unusual with email.  I have worked with computers since they filled a whole room, and I just don't think I should have to go through all this to send ordinary email.  All I can say is that when I get email through verizon.net, it can't be sent or forwarded to others in the office.  Sometimes it can be sent if I remove the signature block, which is nothing out of the ordinary, but even then it is sometimes rejected.  When I forward email received through verizon.net using the Network Solutions email server, it is sent.  So, we simply can't use verizon email and if someone walked through my front door and offered me internet service with someone else right now, I would take it immediately.  Verizon is not ready for serious users.

I think the kind of ad hoc advice offered through this forum is wonderful and good and helpful, but I think that good tech support should be offered through normal channels by Verizon as a matter of course, and it is not.

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@NOYB wrote:

1) The only Spamhaus list the IP address provided by the original posters is listed in is the PBL (addresses specified by Verizon as not authorized to be use for hosting MTA's).

2) Spamhaus does not block any mail at all.  None, zip, nada.  Users of Spamhaus lists, such as myself and many other mail system operators are the ones who do the blocking, totally at their own discretion.

1) The IP provided by the OP is not their ACTUAL IP address. In fact, it is not a Verizon IP address at all. (Note the "127.0.0" for the first 3 octets.) "Test address. This IP address is part of IANA 127.0.0.0/8 LOOPBACK, RFC 3330, IP space, not used for Internet transport." Their actual IP address is most likely on other Spamhaus lists, but posting your personal IP address on the forum is considered by the Mods to be "personal information" and they will edit it out.

2) People block based on the lists that Spamhaus carries. In order to get unblocked by domains using these lists, the IP must be removed from Spamhaus. (Or convince the domain to use something OTHER than Spamhaus for their block list, which is highly unlikely for a one-address issue.)

0 Likes
NOYB
Enthusiast - Level 2

@somegirl wrote:

@NOYB wrote:

1) The only Spamhaus list the IP address provided by the original posters is listed in is the PBL (addresses specified by Verizon as not authorized to be use for hosting MTA's).

2) Spamhaus does not block any mail at all.  None, zip, nada.  Users of Spamhaus lists, such as myself and many other mail system operators are the ones who do the blocking, totally at their own discretion.

1) The IP provided by the OP is not their ACTUAL IP address. In fact, it is not a Verizon IP address at all. (Note the "127.0.0" for the first 3 octets.) "Test address. This IP address is part of IANA 127.0.0.0/8 LOOPBACK, RFC 3330, IP space, not used for Internet transport." Their actual IP address is most likely on other Spamhaus lists, but posting your personal IP address on the forum is considered by the Mods to be "personal information" and they will edit it out.

2) People block based on the lists that Spamhaus carries. In order to get unblocked by domains using these lists, the IP must be removed from Spamhaus. (Or convince the domain to use something OTHER than Spamhaus for their block list, which is highly unlikely for a one-address issue.)

1) The IP Address provided by the original poster is in fact a Verizon FiOS dynamic IP address.  The 127.0.0... you refer to is a status code, not the address provided by the OP'er.

DNS lookup result for IP Address provided by the OP'er:

Name:    pool-173-65-x-x.tampfl.fios.verizon.net
Address:  173.65.x.x

2) It is in the Spamhaus PBL and other lists for a reason.  e.g. Verizon says that address is not intended for operation of an MTA and mail systems should not accept mail delivery from that address.  It is up to mail system operators whether or not to follow the IP address owner's recommendation not to accept mail delivery from those addresses (most of us do).

0 Likes
NOYB
Enthusiast - Level 2

@coopege3 wrote:

I have read all of this and done as much research as I can on the spam blacklists with no real results.  We are not running a mail server of our own, and we aren't doing anything unusual with email.  I have worked with computers since they filled a whole room, and I just don't think I should have to go through all this to send ordinary email.  All I can say is that when I get email through verizon.net, it can't be sent or forwarded to others in the office.  Sometimes it can be sent if I remove the signature block, which is nothing out of the ordinary, but even then it is sometimes rejected.  When I forward email received through verizon.net using the Network Solutions email server, it is sent.  So, we simply can't use verizon email and if someone walked through my front door and offered me internet service with someone else right now, I would take it immediately.  Verizon is not ready for serious users.

I think the kind of ad hoc advice offered through this forum is wonderful and good and helpful, but I think that good tech support should be offered through normal channels by Verizon as a matter of course, and it is not.

Sound to me like you should be subscribing to a business level service if you desire that level of service.

Rejected by which mail system/server?

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

1) Please clarify where that IP address was provided? It's not in the post that I can find.

2) Mail should not be accepted from an MTA on that address, true. The OP is using Verizon's outgoing server, and therefore Verizon's MTAs though, so that's not the issue. It's Spamhaus blocking them for some other reason. (For instance, because their IP address, being dynamic, was previously assigned to someone who was sending out spam.)

I still say that a static IP is probably the best way to go.

0 Likes
Ealdayen
Enthusiast - Level 2

I would not get a static.  I was provided a static IP from Verizon and that IP is listed with a /23 block of IPs as dynamic.  According to SORBS the list of IPs was provided by Verizon on May 11th 2009.  I called Verizon's FIOS support and was told to use Verizon's mail server.  I told him he didn't understand and I needed to speak to someone that would know why I requested a static IP in the first place.  He transfered me to a disconnected number.  Long story short is that no one at Verizon that I have talked/emailed to has been able to help me.  It has been two weeks and nothing has been done and no one knows who to call to get this fixed.  If any Verizon people want to see what I mean:

IP 96.254.17.xxx was provided as a static IP to me.

I can't post html so you would have to go to http://www.au.sorbs.net/lookup.shtml and check the entry for that netblock but basically it will tell you that that ip is listed as dynamic

I've spent two hours on the phone getting transfered around and my call getting dropped.....calling back and explaining the whole story again to another employee only to be transfered to retail FIOS support and finally back to the same department that I orginally called.

0 Likes
NOYB
Enthusiast - Level 2

You might give the Verizon Direct Support forum at BroadBandReports.com a try.

0 Likes
NOYB
Enthusiast - Level 2

In the second post by the OP'er.

0 Likes