Federal Universal Service Fee
geilcourtvz
Enthusiast - Level 2

There doesn't seem to be much mention of this particular fee on the fora (the Federal Universal Service Fee), but while I've noticed for it quite a while (along with the rest of the total of $50.21 in fees!), I see it went up over 53% (yes, fifty-three percent) this month!

I've tried following links to the FCC and one mention by MCI said that they currently charge 24.4%, but "24.4%" on what?

Is there a fixed rate mandated by the FCC? Or a sliding rate according to the number of phones you have, or is it calculated on your overall cable bill?

It does seem to change all the time. In November 2018 it was $4.77 for me, then while it's been $4.43 the last few months, it suddenly got hiked over 53% to $6.81 which is a huge increase (my salary didn't go up 53% this month!).

The only other change I notice in my bill is a phone call costing $0.50, so with all the other taxes and this FUSF increase, my bill went up $3.31 for the month. Does this mean that the 2-minute phone call to a landline 30 miles away cost $3.31 (over $1.60/minute)?!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Federal Universal Service Fee
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Go with a VoIP provider if you're on FioS for internet and drop the traditional phone line.  The taxes associated with this regulated service are outrageous.    Vonage, Phonepower, or my current favorite MagicJack or one of many others -- shop around for the best deal for you.

You unplug the house connection at the ONT and plug the small ATA device you get with the VoIP service into any available phone jack in the house (usually the one nearest your router since you need an ethernet connection) and you can port your number over onto the service so no change in your number -- just remember to do it before you cancel your phone service with Vz.

I pay about $36 for the entire year -- long distance included with my Magic Jack.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

1-800-922-0204 is Verizon Wireless 

http://community.verizonwireless.com 

that is a phone fee. If you get rid of home phone and go with a voip provider those fees are not collected. Google for voip providers.

tv and phone are all taxed like crazy. Go streaming and save big money. Google those services as well.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Go with a VoIP provider if you're on FioS for internet and drop the traditional phone line.  The taxes associated with this regulated service are outrageous.    Vonage, Phonepower, or my current favorite MagicJack or one of many others -- shop around for the best deal for you.

You unplug the house connection at the ONT and plug the small ATA device you get with the VoIP service into any available phone jack in the house (usually the one nearest your router since you need an ethernet connection) and you can port your number over onto the service so no change in your number -- just remember to do it before you cancel your phone service with Vz.

I pay about $36 for the entire year -- long distance included with my Magic Jack.

jonjones1
Legend

You plug the ATA into your router/modem if on cable. No wall jack

magic jack can be plugged into a usb port on a computer if you dont want to connect via router/modem.

my voip provider voipo (i also have magic jack) sent an ATA for use which again hooks to the router/modem

like i said in my first reply, no outrageous taxes and fees and surcharges.

vonage and Ooma charge these taxes and fees so not a great deal.

0 Likes