Feedback on Verizon Support on Internet orange light issue - fixed myself by resetting ONT
Pyao
Contributor - Level 1

My Internet was down all day yesterday and spent an hour with tech support going over it.  (chat using my FIOS app)

The Internet light was yellow even after reboot of router.

I went to ONT and no red lights, tried reset (not sure if this actually did anything) by pressing the two buttons down for a few seconds (heard 1 beep, then 2 beeps).   Did not unplug backup battery for full reset.

Tech support had me reset router to factory, citing my wifi profile was set to Wireless N only - even though I was testing from a LAN connected machine and also informed him 5 times the Internet light is orange.

I informed him I about the status from 192.168.1.1 he told me I cannot connect to router if I don't have Internet.

Tech support says line checks out he can ping my router, says router is faulty and wants to ship me a new router.

I said I have an old Revision D. router which I tested with the same orange light issue.   I said it's not the router issue.

I asked him if he could reboot ONT, and I don't know if he did or not.   Also supposedly he checked with network engineering.

At the end he said he'll have to schedule a tech to come out 3 days later.

Next day still no Internet and I found my digital voice phones have no dial tone.

I tried FIOS app again for No Dial Tone issue and the app eventually allows an option to RESET ONT remotely.

A few minutes after the reset (I could see my router went dark then back on) I got my Internet back (green light!)

This simple action could have saved Verizon from 1) sending out a replacement router that wasn't broken, 2) sending out a Tech support just to reset ONT, 3) having me wait 3 days to get my Internet/phone service working.

Verizon app should also have the option of resetting ONT from the Internet diagonostics section (and not just the Phone No Dial tone one), since I rarely call with my home phone - more to receive calls.