FiOS Distance Limitation? (stopped one street over from me)
Geester

I have been told for a few months now that FiOs is coming to my neighborhood in Hollybrook off of Penns Hill Rd. in La Plata, MD. The March fiber schedule was released for March, and to my surprise my street wasn't on it. After doing some investigating, I found out that the fiber run is stopping exactly one street away from my neighborhood because it isn't "economically feasible" to continue the run. My neighborhood when complete will be home to over 140 families, with 35+ houses already built. I was really shocked to hear that Verizon isn't going to run the extra 3,000 of fiber it will take to service this neighborhood. My question is what is the FiOS distance limitation from the CO? I've already determined that the distance to the street where the run currently ends from the CO is roughly 57,000 ft. (if you drive it.) I'm going nuts thinking that FiOS ends literally feet from my neighborhood entrance.

~Dave (geester1)

Message Edited by Geester on 03-09-2009 11:20 AM
0 Likes
Re: FiOS Distance Limitation? (stopped one street over from me)
prisaz
Legend

@Geester wrote:

I have been told for a few months now that FiOs is coming to my neighborhood in Hollybrook off of Penns Hill Rd. in La Plata, MD. The March fiber schedule was released for March, and to my surprise my street wasn't on it. After doing some investigating, I found out that the fiber run is stopping exactly one street away from my neighborhood because it isn't "economically feasible" to continue the run. My neighborhood when complete will be home to over 140 families, with 35+ houses already built. I was really shocked to hear that Verizon isn't going to run the extra 3,000 of fiber it will take to service this neighborhood. My question is what is the FiOS distance limitation from the CO? I've already determined that the distance to the street where the run currently ends from the CO is roughly 57,000 ft. (if you drive it.) I'm going nuts thinking that FiOS ends literally feet from my neighborhood entrance.

~Dave (geester1)

Message Edited by Geester on 03-09-2009 11:20 AM

I think initial limits were about 20km about 65,000 ft. Single mode fiber will usually handle distances about 20+km. They may be allowing for a margin of error in order to provide 100% reliable service. Driving distance does not allow for splices loops bends ups and downs.

It has been a long time since I researched the PON. But here is a link to wiki. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passive_optical_network

Sorry to be the one to bring bad news, but wiki is not always right, and technology changes constantly.
Message Edited by prisaz on 03-09-2009 05:41 PM
MoopMeep
Enthusiast - Level 3

Does the FIOS cable come from the CO?

I kinda wondered how things were wired with FIOS. I sort of assumed the CO was only needed for the old copper. When I got DSL I know they had to do stuff at the CO but with FIOS it seems that everything is computer controled at a central location, so I assumed the CO wasn't used. I also assumed that if  verizon is going to sell the copper network that the CO would be included. How are things basically wired? I'm just interested in knowing how it works.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@MoopMeep wrote:

Does the FIOS cable come from the CO?

I kinda wondered how things were wired with FIOS. I sort of assumed the CO was only needed for the old copper. When I got DSL I know they had to do stuff at the CO but with FIOS it seems that everything is computer controled at a central location, so I assumed the CO wasn't used. I also assumed that if  verizon is going to sell the copper network that the CO would be included. How are things basically wired? I'm just interested in knowing how it works.

Follow the Wiki link in the post above, as it rather sums it up genericly. Passive Optical Network allows conserviative use of fiber to many nodes. 32 ONTs per OLT drop from the CO. Everything must terminate somewhere. Including fiber. I am not sure if Verizon routed everything back to their existing copper plants or if new ones were built. However it is done within the Verizon's system it would be some what proprietary. Origionally hardware was from Advance Fiber Communications, Inc. which was I believe aquired by Tellabs Operations, Inc. When FIOS first launched in my area I did extensive research because of my interests in getting it. I think it launched in Texas around March 2005 but may have been earlier. I know my fiber was lit up in Maryland around August-September 2005.
Message Edited by prisaz on 03-10-2009 04:40 AM
Message Edited by prisaz on 03-10-2009 04:41 AM
0 Likes
Geester
Thanks for everyone's responses. So why would Verizon essentially run fiber to pretty much the entrance of a neighborhood with 140 homes and not service that neighborhood? It sounds like the technology is there to sevice the neighborhood and tap it in to the network (whether it be splitters, repeaters, etc.) Verizon should fire whoever made that decision!
Message Edited by Geester on 03-12-2009 11:03 AM
0 Likes