FiOS Internet Disconnects Every Day Around Same Time
Iggier

I am a FiOS Internet only subscriber (no FiOS TV and I still have copper telephone service Smiley Wink. Service was installed about a year ago and has been operating flawlessly until about 10 days-two weeks ago.

Each day, beginning a couple of weeks ago, always within the same two hour window (4-6 p.m.), my Internet connection drops. I can manually restart the connection using Windows (XP) repair network connections. Interestingly, I have to allow all traffic via my firewall for this repair to happen successfully. Otherwise, I have custom rules set in my firewall and as long as those are active, the repair fails.

Verizon Tech Support indicates that these daily disconnects are a Windows or PC hardware problem. Yet there were no issues up to this point and no changes to my PC. They suggested I swap my laptop for my PC and see if the same disconnect happens daily (haven't done this yet).

I am not using wireless and it is turned off in the router (an Actiontec MI424WR - not sure if its Rev. E).

Any ideas??

0 Likes
Re: FiOS Internet Disconnects Every Day Around Same Time
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

If that is the Actiontec MI424W A-D, then the issue is a small/tiny NAT table.

I point to http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16233

and to http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

^^

0 Likes
Iggier

Checked out the router after I posted - it's a MI424WR-Gen 2 Rev. E. So the NAT table isn't the issue.

However, despite locking my PC down to intrusions, a malware check I ran yesterday (before the FiOS disconnect would normally happen) revealed and removed a couple of trojans. Interestingly, there was no disconnect thereafter. I'm not convinced this is a resolution and could just be coincidental.

Time will tell...

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Iggier wrote:

Checked out the router after I posted - it's a MI424WR-Gen 2 Rev. E. So the NAT table isn't the issue.

However, despite locking my PC down to intrusions, a malware check I ran yesterday (before the FiOS disconnect would normally happen) revealed and removed a couple of trojans. Interestingly, there was no disconnect thereafter. I'm not convinced this is a resolution and could just be coincidental.

Time will tell...

Please report back if time, tells you it was not coincidental.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I wonder how this resolved, if it dropped again or not.

0 Likes
fioscsatech

This problem appears to be commonly with the computer. Specifically the time tables at which most antivirus programs scan for potential threats or windows defender runs and checks for updates. I reccommend that you check your advance settings for windows defender and any antivirus program to check and scan at a time you would not normally be using your pc such as when you are sleeping. the router runs on a set host of protocols that can be impaired when these programs run. run.

0 Likes
Iggier

It has been three days since the couple of trojans were cleared from my PC and the disconnect has not since occurred. I am still monitoring this as I am not yet convinced the problem is solved, although I am cautiously optimistic.

I disagree that automatic virus scan updates would interfere with FiOS' connectivity. In my case, running Network Associates (McAfee) Enterprise on my PC, updates are scheduled for twice weekly, Tuesday and Friday, at 8:00 p.m. And, this is nothing new as I've had the updates set this way long before the disconnect problem started. The dropped network connectivity that started a couple of weeks ago happened between 4-6 p.m. consistently (and my PC's clock is correct). That said, tonight is a scheduled virus signature update.

0 Likes