FiOS Internet and Ethernet Question
slazhole1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey Everyone. 

I am a noob at this, so please excuse my lack of knowledge. I live in a stacked condo - occupying the top two levels. I have my router in my family room (3rd floor). I want to use cat5 port that's located in our office in the 4th floor. How can I go about utilizing the cat5 port for internet? The ONT is in the garage. 

I router is currently connected to a COAX cable on the wall. It's not feasible to connect an ethernet cable from the office all the way to the router in the family room. Also, putting the router where the ONT is in the garage will severely limit my wireless connection. Do I need to have a Verizon tech come and assist? 

Thanks in advance. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FiOS Internet and Ethernet Question
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@slazhole wrote:

Sorry for the confusion. I do not have a coax connection in the office. Instead, there's an Ethernet port on the wall. I connected my laptop to it via an Ethernet cable to see if I get internet. No dice - so I am assuming the cat5 port is not connected to anything. The ONT is located in the garage whereas the cat5 port is located in the 4th floor. I am assuming where the ONT is located is the "central" wiring closet. I do not have any other cat5 ports located around the house. I can take pictures if it would help.

Again, I lack knowledge in this, so sorry in advance!

To use the Ethernet port in your office you'll need to find the other end.  It is probably near where your phone lines come into your home.  Once you find it, you'll want to connect it to either the ONT or the router.  Which one depends on one key question: do you have FiOS TV?

If you have FiOS TV, you'll want to keep the ONT connected to the router via coax. In that case, you'll need to find a way to connect the Ethernet cable to one of the yellow LAN jacks on the router.  This may involve running wires through walls depending on where you want the router to be.

If you don't have FiOS TV, you can call Verizon and have them switch the ONT from coax internet to Ethane internet.  Then, you'll want to connect the ONT's Ethernet port to the blue WAN Ethernet port on the router.  If one end of your office's Ethernet cable is near the ONT, you could put the router in your office and use the existing wire for the ONT WAN connection to it.  Then, you can plug your devices into the LAN ports on the router.

You could also add a MoCA coax to Ethernet bridge near the currently unknown end of your office Ethernet run.  This will create an Ethernet LAN connection from the router that you can feed to your office.

The key to all of this is finding the other end of your installed Ethernet cable.  Until you know where that is, you won't know what to do.

If this is still confusing, your best bet may be to contract a local expert such as an electrician or someone who specializes in low pottage wiring.

Good Luck.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Welcome to the forums.

Don't have a Verizon tech come.  If you need to pull wires through your walls, you're much better off with an electrician or home-theater installer.  They will do a much better job.

You may not need to pull wires.  Your FiOS install is setup to deliver internet service to the router over coax.  The Ethernet port on the ONT is not active.  You can plug the router into any active coax drop in your home and it will connect to the internet.  If you have coax drop in your office, simply move the router to that drop and plug in your wired Ethernet device to the router.  You should still get good WiFi on the floor below.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@slazhole wrote:

I want to use cat5 port that's located in our office in the 4th floor.

Not clear from your post what that cat5 port is connected to.  Do you have a central wiring closet with multiple cat5 cables home run to that wiring closet?

Do you also have a coax connection in the office?  If so, you can use a MOCA bridge to get an ethernet connection in a room with a coax connection.

Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax

0 Likes
slazhole1
Enthusiast - Level 2

@Anti-Phish wrote:

@slazhole wrote:

I want to use cat5 port that's located in our office in the 4th floor.

Not clear from your post what that cat5 port is connected to.  Do you have a central wiring closet with multiple cat5 cables home run to that wiring closet?

Do you also have a coax connection in the office?  If so, you can use a MOCA bridge to get an ethernet connection in a room with a coax connection.

Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax

Sorry for the confusion. I do not have a coax connection in the office. Instead, there's an ethernet port on the wall. I connected my laptop to it via an ethernet cable to see if I get internet. No dice - so I am assuming the cat5 port is not connected to anything. The ONT is located in the garage whereas the cat5 port is located in the 4th floor. I am assuming where the ONT is located is the "central" wiring closet. I do not have any other cat5 ports located around the house. I can take pictures if it would help.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@slazhole wrote:

Sorry for the confusion. I do not have a coax connection in the office. Instead, there's an Ethernet port on the wall. I connected my laptop to it via an Ethernet cable to see if I get internet. No dice - so I am assuming the cat5 port is not connected to anything. The ONT is located in the garage whereas the cat5 port is located in the 4th floor. I am assuming where the ONT is located is the "central" wiring closet. I do not have any other cat5 ports located around the house. I can take pictures if it would help.

To use the Ethernet port in your office you'll need to find the other end.  It is probably near where your phone lines come into your home.  Once you find it, you'll want to connect it to either the ONT or the router.  Which one depends on one key question: do you have FiOS TV?

If you have FiOS TV, you'll want to keep the ONT connected to the router via coax. In that case, you'll need to find a way to connect the Ethernet cable to one of the yellow LAN jacks on the router.  This may involve running wires through walls depending on where you want the router to be.

If you don't have FiOS TV, you can call Verizon and have them switch the ONT from coax internet to Ethane internet.  Then, you'll want to connect the ONT's Ethernet port to the blue WAN Ethernet port on the router.  If one end of your office's Ethernet cable is near the ONT, you could put the router in your office and use the existing wire for the ONT WAN connection to it.  Then, you can plug your devices into the LAN ports on the router.

You could also add a MoCA coax to Ethernet bridge near the currently unknown end of your office Ethernet run.  This will create an Ethernet LAN connection from the router that you can feed to your office.

The key to all of this is finding the other end of your installed Ethernet cable.  Until you know where that is, you won't know what to do.

If this is still confusing, your best bet may be to contract a local expert such as an electrician or someone who specializes in low pottage wiring.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
slazhole1
Enthusiast - Level 2

@gs0b wrote:

@slazhole wrote:

Good Luck.

Thanks for the info, gs0b! This is extremely helpful. I had a friend help explain the whole situation - which you just stated.

0 Likes