FiOS ONT + Actiontec MOCA 2.5 adapter kit
rbottiglieri
Enthusiast - Level 2

We are using Verizon FiOS for internet only. The fiber from Verizon comes into the basement of my house, and we are currently using the built in MOCA adapter on the ONT installed in the basement. The coax run is a straight run from the basement to the office upstairs.

The Verizon ONT is one of the newer models that supports 1 Gbps over the LAN adapter, but the MOCA is limited to 100/100. This is the situation that I find myself in: I'm limited to 100/100 Mbps, but I would like a bit faster speeds.

I can have fiber or copper run to that space, but that's a bit involved and costly due to the layout of the house.

I'm thinking that I could just get the Actiontec ECB6250K02 units (MOCA 2.5, 1 Gbps Ethernet), pair them up, and use Ethernet at both ends with the coax in the middle. So, the basement would look like this:

ONT >> Ethernet >> Actiontec MOCA adapter >> coax to office >> Actiontec MOCA adapter >> Ethernet >> My router

Has anyone used this newer model in this way? In terms of performance, what can I expect? Is there anything special to configure on the Actiontec adapters, or is it plug and play? Also, I can just call Verizon support and ask them to activate the ethernet port on the ONT, right? Also, when I do this, I no longer need to use the Verizon gateway modem, correct?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FiOS ONT + Actiontec MOCA 2.5 adapter kit
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

I've not tested this deployment, but others have reported doing this.  It should work fine.  They key point is to have no other MoCA devices on the coax, just the one at the ONT and the one at the router.   To avoid the possibility of this even happening, I recommend using a point-to-point coax link if your cabling supports this.

Note that this is not supported by Verizon.  Not a big deal, but you won't be able to ask them for help.  Instead, come back here.

Same thing if you switch to a non-Verizon router (by the way, it's a router, not a modem).  Verizon support will end at the ONT if you don't use their router.  Since FiOS is very reliable, you understand the technology, and found this forum, you're in good shape.

If you want a Verizon supported option, put the router near the ONT.   Connect it to Ethernet for WAN and coax for MoCA LAN.  Then buy/rent a Verizon extender and put it in the office.  You'll have both WiFi and Ethernet ports in the office.  You can have more than one MoCA device on the coax.  Note that if you have the G1100 router, the speed will be limited to under 500Mbps.

To switch to Ethernet WAN, I suggest you contact Verizon support via chat.  Sometimes the phone reps don't understand the request.  It takes just a few minutes and doesn't cost anything.

Bonus: Once you get the ONT switched to Ethernet WAN, you should be able to order 1Gbps service without an upgrade fee!

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

I've not tested this deployment, but others have reported doing this.  It should work fine.  They key point is to have no other MoCA devices on the coax, just the one at the ONT and the one at the router.   To avoid the possibility of this even happening, I recommend using a point-to-point coax link if your cabling supports this.

Note that this is not supported by Verizon.  Not a big deal, but you won't be able to ask them for help.  Instead, come back here.

Same thing if you switch to a non-Verizon router (by the way, it's a router, not a modem).  Verizon support will end at the ONT if you don't use their router.  Since FiOS is very reliable, you understand the technology, and found this forum, you're in good shape.

If you want a Verizon supported option, put the router near the ONT.   Connect it to Ethernet for WAN and coax for MoCA LAN.  Then buy/rent a Verizon extender and put it in the office.  You'll have both WiFi and Ethernet ports in the office.  You can have more than one MoCA device on the coax.  Note that if you have the G1100 router, the speed will be limited to under 500Mbps.

To switch to Ethernet WAN, I suggest you contact Verizon support via chat.  Sometimes the phone reps don't understand the request.  It takes just a few minutes and doesn't cost anything.

Bonus: Once you get the ONT switched to Ethernet WAN, you should be able to order 1Gbps service without an upgrade fee!

rbottiglieri
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK, great. The only other COAX in the house is for DirecTV, but that's on a completely different coax set.

The FiOS coax run is a straight run from the basement to the office . There are two joins, but no splitters are involved. The DirecTV stuff is totally separate.

Thanks!

Rich

rbottiglieri
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just an FYI, I went through this process with Verizon today. Works like a charm! The telephone call to support was taking too long, so I worked with the techs over chat.

They flipped the connection on my ONT from COAX to Ethernet, and I installed the service with the Actiontec adapters. I also upgraded to the Gigabit service.

So, I now get somewhere between 700 and 750 Mbps down. The difference in speed is incredible. I'm happy. Sure, I'd like to get closer to the 1 Gbps, but the price difference between 500 and 1 Gbps is $10/month, so I'll take a 50% bump over 500 Mbps for that price. Plus, I already have coax into that room, so running fiber or copper (if distance would permit) isn't a priority.

One small thing: I'm only getting like 125 to 150 Mbps upload speed. I've read that Verizon sometimes borks the upgrade and the provisioning needs to be checked. Heck, my account details still don't reflect the 1 Gbps plan.

Has anyone else experienced this issue when upgrading service speed? I doubt it's the Actiontec devices since I'm getting near full speed in one direction.

Thanks.

Rich

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

To test the upload speed for sure, connect a device directly to the ONT. Make sure your host-based firewall is on because this setup directly exposes your device to the public Internet. Run a speed test there with uploads and see what's the result. If the speed is the same, that means the upstream is at problem (either the provisioning or the ONT/OLT). If the speed improves, that means the MoCA adapters are at fault.

Your device can also be a limiting factor. Always test speeds with multiple devices to control the variable.

I will bookmark this post because it is kind of a landmark. I believe you are the first user who reports back here that this kind of setup works in reality. Before you, all we have here are wild conjectures, or maybe not wild, theoretical conjectures.