FiOS ONT
sayengar

Hi.  I have a router which won't negotiate full-duplex.  Is there any way to manually set full-duplex on the Verizon ONT?

Peace...  Sridhar

0 Likes
Re: FiOS ONT
prisaz
Legend

NO if you are using your own router and not the Verizon router, it is not supported.

0 Likes
sayengar

So is the answer NO that no-one will answer my question, or is it NO that the ONT is not user-configurable?

0 Likes
sayengar

Let me clarify: I don't care to be reminded that I'm running an unsupported configuration.  Verizon's router won't do my job for me and I'm aware of that.  (I'm running multiple LANs with upstream failover.)  Nor am I asking how to configure the ONT.  For now, I am simply asking if there is a way for the ONT to be configured to pin to full duplex by the end user.

Peace...  Sridhar

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

sayengar wrote:

Hi.  I have a router which won't negotiate full-duplex.  Is there any way to manually set full-duplex on the Verizon ONT?

Peace...  Sridhar

The ONT is auto-detect only and is not user configurable.

Is these some reason your router can't/won't negotiate ful-duplex?

prisaz
Legend

@sayengar wrote:

Let me clarify: I don't care to be reminded that I'm running an unsupported configuration.  Verizon's router won't do my job for me and I'm aware of that.  (I'm running multiple LANs with upstream failover.)  Nor am I asking how to configure the ONT.  For now, I am simply asking if there is a way for the ONT to be configured to pin to full duplex by the end user.

Peace...  Sridhar

Sorry I was not trying to push the fact that something was not supported. Now I will need to go back and see if my Unsupported router configuration is running half or full on the NIC to the ONT. I get very good speeds regardless. 43/35 right now. But lets see if it can do that at the same time. My Linux box has two internal networks one private and one DMZ. So I know where you are coming from. New test coming my way. Thanks for the Idea. I know the user can not make any adjustments to the ONT.

Here are the specifications for the Tellabs ONT 612 which is the one I was upgraded to when I went 35/35. I hope this information helps.

http://www.tellabs.com/products/1000/tlab1600ont_612.pdf

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Let me correct myself I have the 612A.

http://www.tellabs.com/products/1000/tlab1600ont_612a.pdf

For anyone that is curious, here are cutsheets on the different flavors of access equipment. Now Verizon may have, and probably does have variations in their versions that are custom.

http://www.tellabs.com/resources/datasheets.cfm

0 Likes
sayengar

@Anti-Phish wrote:

For reasons passing understanding, the Cisco PA-FE-TX Fast Ethernet Port Adapter doesn't autonegotiate.  I could replace it with a PA-2FE-TX, which is the dual-port version, but that would cost me a couple hundred bucks.
Peace...  Sridhar
0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

As a suggestion on how to solve your problem ... do you have a configurable switch?  Maybe two ports on an isolated VLAN (one toward the ONT and one toward your gear) or a small dedicated switch (a Linksys device running DD-WRT in bridge mode or just using the LAN switch side has full/half 10/100 configuration capability).

It's an extra device, but it would take the port handshake out of the equation for you without introducing any router overhead/NAT.

prisaz
Legend

@sayengar wrote:

@Anti-Phish wrote:

For reasons passing understanding, the Cisco PA-FE-TX Fast Ethernet Port Adapter doesn't autonegotiate.  I could replace it with a PA-2FE-TX, which is the dual-port version, but that would cost me a couple hundred bucks.
Peace...  Sridhar

Even a lower cost option may be any switch that will negotiate a full duplex connection. Many switches want the end device to do the negotiation and unless the switch is managed as lasagna sugests, you may be stuck.