FiOS Programming
Barking_Pumpkin1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Will Verizon be offering tv programming (to inlcude local stations) over the internet in the near future?  I'm a FiOS TV and Internet subscriber.  With the shutdown of analog stations, I now don't have any tv's in my home office (was watching local stations over the airways).  Old (as in 20 yrs old) color 5" tv not worth hooking up to converter box and I'm too cheap to buy a new one and have Verizon run me a tv line into my office.  

0 Likes
Re: FiOS Programming
sofademon

I have not heard any plans for verizon to offer TV services appart from the normal fios tv offerings.  There are numerous ways to watch tv and movies over the computer, but they are not verizon services.

0 Likes
Re: FiOS Programming
prisaz
Legend

@Barking_Pumpkin wrote:

Will Verizon be offering tv programming (to inlcude local stations) over the internet in the near future?  I'm a FiOS TV and Internet subscriber.  With the shutdown of analog stations, I now don't have any tv's in my home office (was watching local stations over the airways).  Old (as in 20 yrs old) color 5" tv not worth hooking up to converter box and I'm too cheap to buy a new one and have Verizon run me a tv line into my office.  

Anyone can run a good quality quad shield RG-6 coax from the FIOS splitter to your office, you do not need to pay Verizon to do it. Also if you consider a QAM tuner card or USB Tuner, you could get the local channels from FIOS on your computer without a monthly charge.  Or the digital adaptor from Verizon will give you all the SD subscribed channels without the guide and IP features of the full blown STB. You could connect it to your 5". Verizon will ship a STB these without a service call. Once you have the STB connected to the coax, you just call them to activate it. I picked up an ATSC digital convertor box for under $15 when the gov coupon was used. I put it on top of my computer and pluged into my monitor and sound card.

Message Edited by prisaz on 06-27-2009 07:49 PM
0 Likes