FiOS Quantum Gateway AC1750 & Apple Airport Extreme
Shomare
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just recived our upgraded modem and it's been difficult to pair the Airport Extreme to it.  Got some help last night but the Apple Tech noted that the modem would have to be bridge to work and thought I'd have to contact Verizon to have them put the modem into brige mode.  I've read that with other modems brige mode disables some of the telivision features. 

I live in a split level house and the Verizn Modem is in the basement while the Airport Extreme is centraily located.

What do I need to do to have the Airport Extreme connect to the new Modem.

The AC1750 is connected and running but it's signal doesnt reach the second floor.  I've got the Airport Extreme connected via Eathernet cable to the AC1750.

0 Likes
Re: FiOS Quantum Gateway AC1750 & Apple Airport Extreme
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

First off, it is a router not a modem which is a huge difference.

What are you trying to do?

Make the Airport be your primary Internet access device?

If you have TV service, it is hard to replace the Qunatum router.

If you don't then you can contact support and ask to have your Internet service switched to Ethernet.
Then connect Etherent cable from ONT (which is really acting in place of a modem) to your airport.

0 Likes
Shomare
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, Modem, not router.

It's not necessary to make it primary as I do have other services, TV and phone so if I can just use it to extend the signal of the modem as the new one doesn't make it to the second floor or the far ends of the house.  I want to use it to extend the rage of the new modem.

With my old modem, I had it set up such that the Apple Air Port Extreme was in the center of the home and the signal covered the entire house and out into the yard. 

Right now I have some other devices on the wireless like a thermostat, Apple TVs, garage door opener and some light switches.  None are able to connect because the signal is too weak 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

As I said, the Verizon device is a router not a modem.

Maybe airport support can help you if you tell them that you have a router and trying to bridge network with the airport.

0 Likes
Shomare
Enthusiast - Level 2

For the love of God, you'd think I could get it right...

I tried that, they said that I'd have to call Verizon and have them bridge the ROUTER.

So there is no way to do that without the long phone call?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

They can't bridge the router. It is needed to provide access to the stbs for guide and for.

Try googling airport express WiFi access point.

Someone will probably have posts on how to do it.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Shomare wrote:

For the love of God, you'd think I could get it right...

I tried that, they said that I'd have to call Verizon and have them bridge the ROUTER.

So there is no way to do that without the long phone call?

Maybe reading this will help you do what you want to do

https://gigaom.com/2010/03/03/how-to-setup-an-airport-extreme-in-bridge-mode/

nrankin153

not a reply but a question - did you get this resolved?  I am having the same issues and decided to pack up the quantum and return it.  The wonderful response of you can not connect to your airport because it isnt connected to the internet did not fill me with confidence after I stated it was hard wired via ethernet to the correct spot.  The whole system works fine with the old router so I am sending this quantum router back - it's been nothing but a headache.

0 Likes
Brnxboy

I disabled the Verizon Router and hard wired the Time Capsule or Extreme In the Quantum and this works fine

0 Likes