Re: FiOS Quantum Gateway Router - Intermittent Dropped Connections
dbusicchia1

My issues are similar, let me explain in detail as I am also an IT professional.  My wireless devices ( a combination of Android, iOS, MacOS, Windows) maintains a fairly high level of signal strength through out my 1600 sf apartment.  My mobile devices "freeze" when the wireless link loses connection to the internet, the wireless link does not go down, it has something to do with the software running on the FIOS Quantum Gateway G1100.  The internal radio seems to be functioning correctly, it keeps the wireless devices connected regardless of the WAN link being stable or not.  The interconnects between the 2.5/5.0 GHz radios and the router functions looks to be the culprit, looks like when the router is under moderate load the software tries to bounce hosts from one radio signal to another but doesn't do so seemlessly, an example of tis process working correctly would be a vMotion of a VM from one hypervisor to another, the VM is moved to another physical server but never notices if the system is configured correctly, the FIOS software doesn't seem to be able to handle this very well but is almost impossible to disable unless you only want to run a single radio signal, 2.5 GHz for distance or 5 GHz for speed, the later basically ties you to the room the router is in.  The problem here is Verizon not keeping customer satisfaction as top priority and pushing substandard hardware on its customers.  The alternative to this is to buy a good wireless router from brands such as Asus, Netgear, or Linksys (Cisco) to name a few, disable the wireless radios on the FIOS router and just use the wired ports for your own router to connect to, you will at least get 1 GigE up to the ONT and throttled down to your subscribed bandwidth.  Maybe Verizon will see the light soon and offer better hardware produced by industry leaders rather than bargain bucket manufacturers

0 Likes
ravibklyn

have a gigabit connection. but wireless deviced keep dropping off, not sure how this is more "reliable" and high throughput.  I am guessing the speeds are not much higher than good old cable service like spectrum, notwithstanding the FIOS claims

0 Likes
djkchotmixx

Having the  smae problem  with Verizon Fios  router.. where I'm looking to switch to comcast  if they can't fix this  issue , I have notice that some devices can connect and some can't  at times. also sometimes all devices  looses connectivity...arggghhh

0 Likes
taymil
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just got the Quantum Gateway Router (Jan 2018) and a faster (supposedly) plan. I have immediately noticed the drop offs and broken connections. A pain. I went thru and did all the normal fixes up to and including resetting the network. Nothing works. (I also have a problem not sure its related with getting the redirect page notice all the time in google.)  They did let me keep the old router for free.

Anyone have a solution to this problem? I just want a reliable consistant connection, I have never gotten near Verizon advertised speeds, but can live with that.

0 Likes
taymil
Enthusiast - Level 1

Your connection was interrupted
A network change was detected.
ERR_NETWORK_CHANGED

this is msg i get

0 Likes
bigjaylow

Having same issue with all devices ever since I switched router for the upgrade to the 50/50 speed (I think thats what it is). The internet goes down on the computers desktop, laptops, phones, etc......The on demand seems to stop when watchinga show as well with just 10 minutes remaining, which really stinks since you can't FF the show so you have to watch it all over again, only to have it go out again after having called Verizon and they say they ran a new test and all is well they assure you. When streaming anything on internet movies just end and you have to start over and reset.....DOES ANYONE HAVE A ANSWER TO THE ISSUE YET.....

0 Likes
CalvinLeesburg

I just read it on news that it could be Google devices sending large amount of traffic to the router in very short time, causing it to be overwhlemed. Problem affects other brands of router as well, since Oct 2017.   I have unplugged all my Chromecast (3) from power, going to see if my quatrum router WiFi dropping connection again....

See http://www.businessinsider.com/google-casting-devices-causing-problems-home-wifi-networks-2018-1

0 Likes
bigjaylow

Keep me informed I'm not going to make changes that I'll forget about when they do another update....

0 Likes
taymil
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have and use no google devices. 

0 Likes
CalvinLeesburg

I did a quick test yesterday with all my Chromcast (3) powered off and turn on my Quantum WiFi.  Although I didn't get disconnected but while playing Xbox and working on laptop, I suddenly lost connection Xbox Live and to work.  I wasn't able to reconnect back to Xbox Live; ran a network test and still no luck.  I was able to reconnect to my work VPN though.  I was still able to browse interent etc.... just not Xbox Live.

So I switched back to my other router (DLink AC1200 that was setup in AP or bridge mode behind the quantum router) and my Xbox Live was back in services.   I turned off the quantum WiFi for now and will do more testing this weekend when I have more time.

0 Likes