FiOS Quantum speed not living up to expectations?
ir0nhead3
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just recently upgraded and could get no better download speeds with 75/35 service vs. 20/5. Uploads were improved but no where near the 35M I expected, about half. Top download never exceeded 20M. All from 802.11n machines, wireless. Wired was no issue, got at least the advertised speed, if not better (if you have a 10/100 enet adapter).

Solution:

First, if you have an ActionTec router you need to be sure it's later than Rev D. I called in a trouble report and was provided with a Rev F device. Initially, that made no difference.

After talking to the Fiber Solutions Center without a resolution, I started playing around in my new router. In the advance settings under wireless network you have the ability to choose an 802.11n "high performance" option, as opposed to the default 802.11b/g/n "all" option.

I changed that to 802.11n only and now I am getting up to 65M down and 25-35M up. Awesome speeds!

Warning:

1) Unless you have all 802.11n devices this wont work, you will be locked into the lower speeds, no matter what the device supports

2) When you change to 802.11n the encryption changes from WEP to WPA2, so a new security key. Not a huge issue, just be aware. In XP you have to change network connections options fo rthe specific SSID to support this, but in W7 and Apple the system is smart enough to just use the new security key without any other changes.

Moral of the story:

FiOS Quantum is hot, hot, hot. Just needs a little better support from the VZ customer team, and a bit of patience if you have that. I do and glad I made the change!