FiOS Router Question
bsktball12tw

I live in a two family house with a family member of mine. The family member has the Quantum Router in their basement and the signal does not reach to my side of the house. Internet is 150/150.

We used to have Cablevision so I have a coax cable on my side that used to hook into the Cablevision modem and then to a router for my own network.

I am looking to set up a similar situation where the active coax connects to a router on my side. Does anyone have any suggestions for a router/modem that is compatible with a Coax Input?

Relocating the router is not an option. Running an ethernet to my side is not an option either.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FiOS Router Question
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

A WCB3000N network extender should do exactly what you're looking for:

http://www.actiontec.com/305.html

You'd use a coax splitter fed by the coax going into the Quantum Router, with each of two outputs feeding the Quantum Router and the coax going to your side of the house.

Then plug the coax into the WCB3000N and presto.....you'll have WiFi and Ethernet coverage in your end of the house.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

A WCB3000N network extender should do exactly what you're looking for:

http://www.actiontec.com/305.html

You'd use a coax splitter fed by the coax going into the Quantum Router, with each of two outputs feeding the Quantum Router and the coax going to your side of the house.

Then plug the coax into the WCB3000N and presto.....you'll have WiFi and Ethernet coverage in your end of the house.

0 Likes
bsktball12tw

The Split is already made and the coax is hot - so all I would need to do is plug in the extender into the Coax?

This will then broadcast the same WiFi network on my side just with a strong signal?

Does the extender need to receive WiFi from the router? if yes, this won't work.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

The extender gets it's Internet connection via MoCA/coax.  It does not need to be receiving the WiFi signal from the Quantum router.  All you need to do is plug your already hot coax into the extender.

It's pretty much plug-and-play, although there is a configuration page you can sign into if you want to customize some of the settings, such as using a different SSID than the Quantum router.

I suggest that if you try it you'll like it. Smiley Wink

0 Likes
bsktball12tw

awesome. Thank you!

0 Likes
bsktball12tw
Question for you. Is it worth getting my own Router with a coax/MoCA plug in to use in the future? If yes, any suggestions?

Possibly moving in near future.
0 Likes