FiOS Streaming Buffering/Connection Problem
Coney2

I recently switched my provider to Verizon FiOS. I have the 75/75Mbps plan and I've been very satisfied with the service overall. My computer is hardwired to my Quantum router. I have a Dell XPX 8300 desktop running Windows 7, processor is 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 with 8GB of RAM. My FiOS speed test is consistently over 85Mbps.

I like to listen to the Pearl Jam internet radio station accessible through pearljam.com (accessed through the Ten Club Radio button in the upper left-hand corner). It's a Mixstream Radio Player v1.3. With my previous provider my internet speed barely hit 50Mbps, and I had no trouble streaming this station.

Now that I have Verizon FiOS I have trouble connecting to the stream, and when I do get on it buffers constantly and then the connection is refused. I've tried everything to be able to connect - made sure my Adobe Flash Player was updated, cleared my cookies, cache, browsing history, etc.I tried using other browsers and the same thing happens.  

I can alternately access the station opening this site with a music player: http://radio.nugs.net:8080/. I loaded the stream through Winamp but I had to seriously tweak the default buffering settings, and even so it still cuts out once in a while.  

I just find it strange that my speed has increased significantly with FiOS yet I didn't have this buffering problem when I was with the other provider with a slower connection. And the buffering problem doesn't exist when I watch YouTube videos at all, just with this particular stream.  

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening with an internet radio stream?

0 Likes
Re: FiOS Streaming Buffering/Connection Problem
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I suspect the routing you're getting from the FiOS network to the streaming service's server is encountering a link where packets are getting lost.

You might try using a different DNS to see if that changing your routing and prevents the problem.  If you want to try that, you can edit the DNS setting in your router or just in your PC's NIC.

Some people have good luck with Google's DNS, 8.8.8.8, or Level 3's 4.2.2.2, or Open DNS 208.67.222.222.  You can also run DNS Benchmark to see what DNS servers are fastest from your location:  https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

For whatever it's worth, we listen to various streaming radio stations frequently and never have a buffering problem from here on Long Island.

Not applicable

this is a known issue but believe me its not a wireless issue, does this happen to be consisting around 7pm-11pm? if so you're experiencing a nationwide issue where downloaadspeed drops to 5mbps, verizon is choosing to not release a public statement taking fault over.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's not a nationwide issue.  There are many of us, myself included, who are not experiencing any issues with FiOS speeds at any time of day.

Enjoy.

Not applicable

you might not be experiencing download speed slowdowns that're usually caused by congestion at CO's which you're probably not going through, but there's also peering issues outside of verizon's network thats a nationwide issue and already confirmed by NT's as a direct statement to the FCC, run a tracert to google.com during peak times, hop 6-9 will get 10-80% packet loss, use pingplotter.

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@Anonymous wrote:

you might not be experiencing download speed slowdowns that're usually caused by congestion at CO's which you're probably not going through, but there's also peering issues outside of verizon's network thats a nationwide issue and already confirmed by NT's as a direct statement to the FCC, run a tracert to google.com during peak times, hop 6-9 will get 10-80% packet loss, use pingplotter.

I have to go along with gs0b on this one.  While I can understand the pain and frustration that having regular slowdowns would cause, I'm another user who never sees that problem.  Thus the problem (which I understand is real for some users) is not nationwide.

You said the problem is outside of Verizon's network, so how is that a Verizon problem?

'Tis why I suggested that the OP try a different DNS so see if that changed their routing and fixed the problem.

Not applicable

verizon controls the peering even after their network. they pay third parties like level3 and akamai to direct people into certain routes, routes which can infact be congested by the enormous amounts of people getting put through them, a good example would  be an  actual high way during traffic, verizon should be able to provide clear routes for their consumers by monitoring traffic which they don't seem to care to maintain, think of what happened last year with netflix, it's the same concept. verizon purposely provided bad routes to netflix services which ultimately resulted in a lot of buffering. this is why certain people that would connect through a VPN would be able to bypass those routes and get a clear connection to all services.

and hey if you don't take my word for it google verizon netflix issue, you will be directed to hard evidence that verizon took the blame for, netflix ended up paying them to provide better routes.

Coney2

Per my original post, I'm very happy with FiOS overall and my speed is consistently over 85Mbps both ways. The only buffering problem I have is with this particular stream, everything else, e.g. YouTube videos, works fine.

eljefe, how do I edit the DNS setting in the router and my PC's NIC?

0 Likes
Coney2

Ok I Googled directions to change the DNS setting and tried a few different ones, but it didn't help. This is so frustrating!

0 Likes
Khaki54
Enthusiast - Level 2

Changing your DNS server isn't going to change your route.  You're going to resolve to the same IP address and get the same route.  The part of your browser that says "looking up google.com..." will go faster though.