Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-Store & Curbside Pickup or same day delivery.

FiOS TV will affect FiOS Internet?

SOLVED
KP0306
Contributor
Contributor

FiOS TV will affect FiOS Internet?

Message 1 of 2
(3,434 Views)

Hi guys,

I currently have FiOS internet only, and my wife wants FiOS TV, but I'm just afraid that the TV service will affect the internet speed, especially when I play online games on weekends.

When I do play online, if she or I download some files, it DOES affect my game play.

Does anyone know about this?

Thank you very much for your help and time in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
prisaz
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: FiOS TV will affect FiOS Internet?

Message 2 of 2
(3,422 Views)

@KP0306 wrote:

Hi guys,

I currently have FiOS internet only, and my wife wants FiOS TV, but I'm just afraid that the TV service will affect the internet speed, especially when I play online games on weekends.

When I do play online, if she or I download some files, it DOES affect my game play.

FiOS TV comes over a totally different light wavelength on the fiber. This is separate from the internet. Video On Demand does use the Internet but is allocated extra bandwidth on the connection when in use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verizon_FiOS

This allocation of wavelengths adheres to the ITU-T G.983 standard, also known as an ATM passive optical network (APON). Verizon initially installed slower BPONs but now only installs GPONs specified in the ITU-T G.984 standard. These bands and speeds are:

• 1310 nm wavelength for upstream data at 155 Mbit/s (1.2 Gbit/s with GPON)
  • 1490 nm wavelength for downstream data at 622 Mbit/s (2.4 Gbit/s with GPON)
  • 1550 nm wavelength for QAM cable television with 870 MHz of bandwidth

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
prisaz
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: FiOS TV will affect FiOS Internet?

Message 2 of 2
(3,423 Views)

@KP0306 wrote:

Hi guys,

FiOS TV comes over a totally different light wavelength on the fiber. This is separate from the internet. Video On Demand does use the Internet but is allocated extra bandwidth on the connection when in use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verizon_FiOS

This allocation of wavelengths adheres to the ITU-T G.983 standard, also known as an ATM passive optical network (APON). Verizon initially installed slower BPONs but now only installs GPONs specified in the ITU-T G.984 standard. These bands and speeds are:

• 1310 nm wavelength for upstream data at 155 Mbit/s (1.2 Gbit/s with GPON)
  • 1490 nm wavelength for downstream data at 622 Mbit/s (2.4 Gbit/s with GPON)
  • 1550 nm wavelength for QAM cable television with 870 MHz of bandwidth

View solution in original post

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.