FiOS and Xbox Live voice chat
Morgon

Hello,

For the past 6 months, I've had trouble using the voice chat functionality of Xbox Live on my Verizon Fios connection.

After painstaking troubleshooting, I am nearly certain this issue is connection-based.

I've tried different headsets, different controllers, different consoles. The only thing that isn't different is my FiOS connection (including router). My port forwards are set up properly - I've even tried DMZ'ing the IP assigned to the Xbox console to see if I missed something, but only the voice portion is somehow filtered.

I can send voice messages (i.e. one-sided voice recordings that are send to the Xbox Live service), but any 'live' chat, including 'Parties', Private Chat, and in-game voice are all affected.

Considering I've DMZed the console to no avail, I can't think of anything else to do. My router firmware is 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.11.6 (Feb 2009), which seems to be the latest.

Has anyone else had this issue, or are there any other troubleshooting angles I can try?

Thanks for your time

0 Likes
Re: FiOS and Xbox Live voice chat
nXt1
Contributor - Level 1

I don't see how FiOS has any issues with Xbox Live voice chat if you can connect to Xbox Live and play online multiplayer.

Xbox Live voice chat goes through Xbox Live's servers, same with multiplayer games. I'd check xbox.com forums.

0 Likes
Re: FiOS and Xbox Live voice chat **** THERE IS A FIX! ****
lennyn
Enthusiast - Level 1

YES! There IS a problem with FiOs and some games on XBOX Live.

I just had FiOs installed Satruday, replacing Comcast. I have been playing Battlefield: Bad Company 2 on my XBOX360 for a few weeks and as soon as I made the jump to FiOs, my games played fine, but I had NO voice chat, inbound or out. I could see the speaker Icon blinking when someone was talking but I couldn't hear them. I spent hours on the phone with Verizon but most of their Techs simply said "We Don't support Console Game Systems". I did get one amazing Teck who figured out it was a port issue, but he no clue which ports were causing the problems.

The issue is in the Port settings on the FiOs Router. I have the ActionTec Router. So, to FIX THE PROBLEM & be able to chat again on your Xbox 360, simply do the following.

Open your Router Settings and locate the IP Address of your Xbox360 (IE: mine is 192.168.1.5)

Select that IP device (usually titled "new-host") and ensure the following ports are OPEN:

TCP 3074

TCP 88

UDP 3074

UDP 80

UDP 53

That will take care of it. Ports 53 & 80 are the ports that enable Chat.

If you want to bypass the firewall, you can also select "DMZ Host" under the Firewall SettingsTab, check teh box that says "DMZ Host IP Address:" and put the IP address of your Xbox360 in the spaces. But only do that if you have to.

Good Luck

Rev. Fr. Lenny

Re: FiOS and Xbox Live voice chat **** THERE IS A FIX! ****
Morgon

Thanks for your response. However, as I mentioned in my first post, I did port-forward, and later DMZ'ed my Xbox with no change in my ability to speak.

I can always hear incoming voice chat (via Party or in-game), but simply cannot send it.

I can't imagine that 53 (DNS) and 80 (HTTP) would be what allows voice, especially since I'm willing to bet Verizon blocks at least inbound 80, if not 53 as well.

0 Likes
Morgon

This is still not corrected.

I would like a Verizon tech to respond to this post and offer assistance. Through deduction of other factors, it can be absolutely nothing else but the connection. The console is DMZ'd, and there's nothing wrong with my account on Xbox Live that should prevent me from speaking.

This *is* something I find important enough to switch ISPs if need be.. please help, Verizon.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 If you do not have at least two game consoles behind the router, in the router turn off UPnP.

#2 On the other hand if you have at least two game consoles behind this router:

a) leave UPnP turned on in the router (if it is on) / If it is not on, turn it on.

b) You do not need to forward, port trigger OR DMZ your game console.

0 Likes
Morgon

Thanks for your response.

I've never been very impressed with the Actiontec's UPnP functionality in general. It has only ever worked for Windows Live Messenger. As expected, I am not able to get UPnP working with the console. 

Even Actiontec's website suggests port-forwarding:

"Will my Xbox work with the Actiontec Gateway or Router?
Yes, Actiontec Gateways and Routers are compatible with the Xbox. However, it may be necessary to forward the ports used by the Xbox, in the Actiontec Gateway or Router. Without Port Forwarding, the Xbox Connection Test may report a "NAT" rating of "STRICT" or "MODERATE", rather than "OPEN"."

http://www.actiontec.com/support/product_details.php?pid=41&typ=all#q2

Still without voice chat. The thing that ticks me off the most is that if I make sounds into the microphone as I'm creating or joining a party, I will actually send voice for a fraction of a second. However, the stream gets interrupted a moment later - and it's not the console doing the reset.

If you claim the Xbox should be able to use UPnP just fine, then how can I get a new router? I haven't exactly had a completely trouble-less relationship with it over the past two years as it is.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you claim the Xbox should be able to use UPnP just fine.

That is only a theory that I found, if you have at least two.

-

Let us do this step by step.

#1 On your computer check the IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and DNS Servers on your computer.

For example if on Windows XP...

a) go to Start -> Run

b) Type in cmd and press enter.

c) In the new window, called the command prompt, type in ipconfig /all and press enter.

#2 Going to the default gateway with your web browser, should take you to your router. If not, you are Double NATTED.

#3 You are not Double NATTED are you?

a) If not, good 🙂

b) What is the brand, model, and version of your router?

For example: Actiontech, MI-424-WI, C.

0 Likes
Morgon

No, I'm not double-Natted. My Actiontec router is the only such router on the network. Both my Xbox and computer are connected directly to the router.

Actiontec MI424-WR, Hardware revision C

Firmware version 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.11.6

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

I am not saying for sure what the problem is, since I do not know.

But one things that I can tell is, that those router(s) have a small/tiny NAT table - and that might be why that is happening.

One of many source(s): http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16233

0 Likes