Re: FiOS and Xbox Live voice chat
MCRiderCoach

I have a similar issue but it only seems to be the connection to one person. I was able to chat with others during a game and outside a game. I have a separate wireless router connected to my D-Link so I will have to check the NAT option and get back with my results. Can I configure my wireless router as the only router rather than using the Verizon provided router?

0 Likes
Morgon

So can I not get someone from Verizon to at least acknowledge this issue? If I take my console anywhere else, I get voice. If the console is DMZed on my home connection and I still can't get voice, seems that would be a fault of the connection itself.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

This is the wrong place to try and get a response from Verizon. While a few employee's do float in and out and try to help, there is no "official" Verizon presence here. This is a user-to-user board.

But quite frankly, even if it wasnt, you probably would not get any "official" responce because Verizon "does not support" console games. Your on your own for trying to figure it out.

The Xbox live chat does work on Verizon. I use it all the time. When I did use the Verizon router, all I had to do was do the port forwarding. Otherwise I had the same issues as you. Now since you have eliminated that, I would say it is likely an issue with your router. It could be your Xbox also, but not as likely as the router.

I personally just switched to using my own router instead of the one provided by Verizon just to get away from those frequent issues that the Actiontec routers seem to have. (this was the best move I made IMHO).

Morgon

Interesting. When I first got FiOS, I had heard that the Actiontec was the only router that was compatible.

Can you tell me what router you're using now? What kind of setup did you have to do to make it work? (Do you have to register the router with Verizon like you do on cable with a cable modem, or does the ONT take care of all of that?)

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

I'm personally using a D-link gaming router. (dont remember the model number off the top of my head) It really doenst matter what router you use though, any router will work. Just depends on how much work you want to put into it.

Verizon will not support 3rd party routers. If you use your own equipment, your on your own for troubleshooting issues. But for me, thats fine. I do networking for a living so I'm my own tech support.

The layout for this depends on what you want to accomplish and if you have fios TV or not.

For me. I have Fios Internet and TV.   35/35   Fios ultimate HD

My network is as follows.

Coax from ONT to splitter. This splits to all TV's and to my cable closet.

Ethernet from ONT to my cable closet. (all you have to do is ask Verizon to enable the ethernet cable)

I connected the ethernet to my router (dlink) and then ran ethernet to every room in my house. wired through out the house.

I then purchased a Motorola NIM 100 (they are getting a little harder to find but if you watch ebay they pop up every now and then) that I connected to my Dlink and then connected my coax to the NIM for my program guide and VOD on my tv. Works perfect

Now with this setup, I have only two issues, neither are an issue for me. 1. I am not able to use the remote dvr service (program from the web page). I also do not get the on screen caller ID system. I dont care about either of those so it works well for me.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Here is a FAQ that can address most of your questions

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

0 Likes
Javsld568
Enthusiast - Level 3

thats a lot of work lol, i just have 2 routers, the one with FIOS and it hooked up with my Linksys WRT310N all it takes is just disable NAT and routing on the FIOS and have it dmz to the Linksys router and enable everything else on the Linksys and done. Works perfect, i have constant high speeds, i do speedtests all the time and im always at the optimum speeds. 

Oh and i also did get a ethernet cat6 to every room, each room has a Linksys Business GIgabit switch, which gives me a boost of speed, so webpages just load so fast people who come to my house just have their jaw drop at how fast my web browsing is! hahaha

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@Javsld568 wrote:

thats a lot of work lol, i just have 2 routers, the one with FIOS and it hooked up with my Linksys WRT310N all it takes is just disable NAT and routing on the FIOS and have it dmz to the Linksys router and enable everything else on the Linksys and done. Works perfect, i have constant high speeds, i do speedtests all the time and im always at the optimum speeds. 

Oh and i also did get a ethernet cat6 to every room, each room has a Linksys Business GIgabit switch, which gives me a boost of speed, so webpages just load so fast people who come to my house just have their jaw drop at how fast my web browsing is! hahaha

Oh absolutely. There are LOTS of ways of getting around the Verizon router. Smiley Wink   In my case I wanted every bit of the Verizon equipment that I could do away with, outta there. Plus with my setup, I can switch to any ISP/TV provider out there without having to change my internals. I now have a truely plug and play system that will work with any router/modem setup. Not that I plan on changing anytime soon, but its nice to know that a bit of work I put in makes me compatible with anything currently on the market. This was just an example of what can be done, but there are many other options out there too.