FiOS backhaul bandwidth issue
JC-NYC
Enthusiast - Level 3

What can we do when the problem is with the FiOS backhaul?

During peak evening hours (7pm to 4am), I have Internet access for 20 seconds or so at a time with a few minutes of outage in between.

Any established TCP traffic continues to work while any new browser pages will fail.

I have been on the phone with Verizon support for about 6-8 times in the last 3 weeks.

Each time they blame something else at my location.

They even came to replace my ONT.

I keep telling them it is a bandwidth issue at the backhaul to the Internet.

What can be done?

Who do we call?

Every phone call ends with a tier-1 telling me to either reboot my router, replace my cable, power cycle the ONT, etc.

There has never been a lost link connection between my ONT and router.

My profession is Director of Network Infrastructures but the phone tech continues to treat me like I have lot my mind when I explain the technology to them.

So **bleep** frustrating.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: workaround - FiOS backhaul bandwidth issues
JC-NYC
Enthusiast - Level 3

Steps:

1. log into the Verizon router

2. navigate to the Broadband Conenctions page

3. select Advanced settings

4. Release your current IP address

5. wait a few seconds

6. click Renew to get a new IP address

7. check to see if you did receive a new IP address

This is only a temporary fix to give you access for a few minutes before that backhaul gateway is saturated and drops your packets.  BUT it will let you get that e-mail out.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: FiOS backhaul bandwidth issue
JC-NYC
Enthusiast - Level 3

And now for the 3rd time Verizon is "dispatching a technician".

I said "for what?"

The issue does not occur at 8am or 10am or 2pm.

It happens at 9pm at night.

And the fiber has tested clean 100% by 2 technicians already.

The ONT has been replaced.

The router has been replaced.

The issue only happens with new conenctions during peak evening hours.

I keep asking to get ticket escalated and it seems to go on dead ears.

What happened to the Verizon President's Hotline?

0 Likes
Re: FiOS backhaul bandwidth issue
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi JC-NYC,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Please check your Private Message Inbox for a message from Verizon_Support. You can find your Inbox by clicking on your username at the top right corner of this page. Please direct all correspondence concerning your issue to the agents who will be assisting you privately.

0 Likes
workaround - FiOS backhaul bandwidth issues
JC-NYC
Enthusiast - Level 3

So for yesterday I was told Verizon will call me back with a solution.

24 hours has gone by, no calls.

Here is what happens.

FiOS 100/100 Internet working fine during the sunlight hours.

Comes around 8pm-9pm, we start having issues.

Suddenly we are not able to surf the Internet, except for 20-30 second bursts.

Nobody is streaming any media.  Nobody in the house is doing anything except browsing the web.

So as one of the "workarounds" that a Verizon support tech (the only one that knew what he was talking about last week) said to log into the router and release the IP address then renew it.   This also proves that all the in-house stuff is working properly and not the cause of this issue.

Well it only works, if the DHCP release and renew gets you a new IP address with a new IP gateway.   This also proves that the Verizon backhaul (the gateway) is not oversaturated (not enough bandwidth to serve all the customers).

Symptoms leading up to the "outage" or dropped packets due to lack of bandwidth ... the ping times steady climbs from 5ms to over 60ms and when it hits about 75ms, the system will soon drop all packets.   I started using PingPlotter to track this as a test ... and low and behold, this happens every single time tonight.

Sad thing ... every new IP that I got, only allowed me to browse the Internet for about 5 to 10 minutes before the issue reared itself again.  Guess other customers in my neighborhood are also doing the same to jump to another gateway.

VERIZON ... please FIX the backhaul once and for all and not tell your customers that you are sending out another technician to fix the line.   The problem is not at your customer's home!  Stop wasting your technician's time and customer's time!  PLEASE!

Re: workaround - FiOS backhaul bandwidth issues
JC-NYC
Enthusiast - Level 3

Steps:

1. log into the Verizon router

2. navigate to the Broadband Conenctions page

3. select Advanced settings

4. Release your current IP address

5. wait a few seconds

6. click Renew to get a new IP address

7. check to see if you did receive a new IP address

This is only a temporary fix to give you access for a few minutes before that backhaul gateway is saturated and drops your packets.  BUT it will let you get that e-mail out.

0 Likes