FiOS installation and router question
derekantos
Enthusiast - Level 1

FiOS is available in my neighborhood now. I’ve signed up as a brand new member and they’ve waived “setup fees” plus some discounts and reimbursement for ETF from Comcast. I’ve checked fine print everywhere and don’t see where I could be charged additional installation fees.

So so my questions are, will there need to be extensive installation for my home? Will they figure out a way to try to charge me extra although setup fees were waived? Currently, everything is wired to a central box in my home. Ethernet cables, coaxial, and something else all go to this box. My current modem and router from Comcast sit in this box. Will installation be easy enough that the tech can remove everything and set that up without any additional issues? 

Next question, is the Gateway that I can rent worth it? Or should I get my own?We have three members of the household that play online games and don’t want any major issues like we currently have with Comcast (not being able to connect to each other, one person being kicked offline when another signs on, etc)

0 Likes
Re: FiOS installation and router question
jonjones1
Legend

The installer will place it in the most convenient place and run ethernet to your router.

fios does not use modems nor do they do coaxial installs any longer.

this install can be inside your home or outside, it depends where the drop is to the fiber which connects to the ONT. 

You and the installer will have to decide the best instillation method for your home.

if the install fee was waived it should say so on the numerous emails Verizon Fios stated. What you must realize if you ask let’s say for multiple connections in your home of ethernet then Verizon may charge you a fee for doing that work. But on a simple installation you will not be charged.

now to the Quantum Gateway Router G1100, my personal opinion is that it’s good for dhcp (access to the internet) but terrible for WiFi penetration in the home. But google it and read the posts for or against.

I use my own Netgear Nighthawk but if you use your own router you may lose support from Fios because then the service would be from their connection to your ont and not inside the home. But it is something to ponder. If you are tech savvy you would not need their router. I will say that it is best to purchase one outright just Incase your router fails or you need inside servicing or diagnostics. 

derekantos
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the info. Currently my home is 4 stories. And a the network is being used on every story. Ethernet lines run to every room, but they only lead back to my central box. I’m not sure if the fiber line leads to that box. And if it doesn’t, it would be way to hard to fish that line to the box.

So they place the ONT at the fiber drop (of which I don’t know where that is), then the router is placed where? Right at the ONT as well? I’m going to be need multiple extenders, etc. if that’s the case. I’m tech savvy so I can handle the router side of things, but just trying to figure out placement and signal strength is the part where I’m stuck.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

This may be a good and quick installation. If the ont is placed at the box you mentioned then ethernet can be connected via the ont to the router and you could add in a switch to use the ethernet that is already in place (powered if possible)

doubtful the wifi from the primary router will go four stories. You could place repeaters on each floor which would give you whole house coverage. 

The fiber drop is often done in advance. You can actually see it if hung from overhead from a pole. It’s a black sheathed line attached near or on the Home next to a ground wire.

The other way Verizon does it is from running the fiber cable in the ground. Be wary of the buried cable method. Verizon has the installation in the ground at a very close to the surface level. You want them to bury it deep so your lawn mower, Snow thrower or other equipment won’t sever the cable. Make them place it deep.

the installer may drill a hole through the wall to attach to the ont or router, they use a gel to block the elements from getting into your home.

Like I said if you say what you want you should be ok.

make sure it’s fully tested and set up before they leave. And they can set up your account with you.

0 Likes