FiOS installation--ethernet cable or coax
danmarycap

I'm considering upgrading from Verizon DSL to FiOS (tired of paying for throughput I'm not getting).  On the Verizon FiOS sign-up page, the "installation" steps (http://www22.verizon.com/Residential/FiOSInternet/Installation/Installation.htm)  say "the ONT will be connected to the existing coaxial cabling in your home and the signal will be tested.

Three questions:

- why would I want new fiber optic cable connected to old coax cabling that may be in my house?

- what if I'm using the coax in my house for satellite TV?

- what if I don't have coax cabling already in my house -- will Verizon install proper ethernet (Cat5e?) cabling as part of the installation?

Thanks!

- Dan

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FiOS installation--ethernet cable or coax
Techman28
Master - Level 1

The FT will do this. I had this done in my house and I love it because if the router goes down I can still have internet  by bypassing the router and plugging in to the jack.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Techman28
Master - Level 1
if your just getting your internet I was ask the FT to hook it up with the ethernet port and they'll install a data port for you and run your service from that data jack.
0 Likes
danmarycap

That's my plan -- just FiOS internet service.  We have Dish for TV and Verizon local phone service.  Will the FT supply and run the cable inside the house, or do they just install the jack at the entry point and the rest is up to me?

-Dan

0 Likes
Techman28
Master - Level 1

The FT will do this. I had this done in my house and I love it because if the router goes down I can still have internet  by bypassing the router and plugging in to the jack.

0 Likes
danmarycap
OK, thanks a bunch!
0 Likes