FiOS not communicating with my desktop
Jonesy77

I just reformatted my desktop harddrive and reinstalled Windows XP.  My Verizon router is direct-connected, but for some reason, now my internet is not communicating (it was before the reformat).  I know the router is working because wireless still works fine on the laptops.  Is this a driver issue?

0 Likes
Re: FiOS not communicating with my desktop
ohpoleez
Contributor - Level 2

Hi, did you reinstall your NIC card drivers after you reformatted? 

0 Likes
Jonesy77

I don't know, which I guess means no.  I went to the Gateway site and downloaded all the drivers they had up for my model computer.  Is the NIC card any of these?

http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/mydl.asp?tab=MY&os=Windows XP

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

it looks like you have XP.

Try this.

go to the control panel.

Now if the control panel is in Classic view...

Click on "System".  In the next window, click on the hardware tab and then click the button that says "device manager"

If the control panel is in category view

Click on "performance and maintenance"  then click on "system", click on hardware tab, click "device manager"

Once the device manager is open, look down the list for the option that says "other devices". In that list it is usually listed as "network controller" or "Ethernet controller" or something similar. If it is listed in this area then you dont have the driver installed.

If you have the disks that came with the computer, find the one that says "drivers and utilities", put that in the computer, and from that device manager list, right click on the "Ethernet controller" and click on update driver. Point it to the disk in the drive and it should update.  Easy peasy.

If you dont have the disk that came with the computer. This is harder. You have to determine which nic you have and then get that driver from Gateway. Hopefully if you go to the Gateway web site and can put in your serial number and such, they will be able to tell you which one you have. If not, you will have to try and figure it out. Now if you've never done this before it can be a little complicated for the novice. At this point it would probably be easier to just go down to the computer store and purchase a new nic card. They are cheap. Last one I bought was $8 but you should be able to find them easily for somewhere around $10-$15. and then just install it and its drivers. Thats just my 2 cents worth.

Hope this helps

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Right mouse click My Computer and select Manage

Select Device Manager

Do you have anything under Network Adapters  ??

Is it "Banged" out  ??   marked with an Exclamation mark !

if yes go and get the driver from the gateway site or drivers.com from the laptop and transfer to the gateway using a thumb drive.  Select the banged ou item in device manager and say update driver and point to the thumb drive.

0 Likes