FiOS router and Ipad problems persist. SOS
hmhm1

Hey All, 

I have studied every single thread on every forum on the internet and have not been able to resolve this. 

My IPad absolutely will not connect to the FiOS router [ actiontec whichever ] not only at home but at any public place that uses ithe Verizon FiOS setup with their router ( I have asked at each place that I can't connect. I can always connect with a time warner set-up but not a Verizon FiOS set-up ) . It's so frustrating. I have never had this issue in any state on any service on any router other than the actiontec one verizon uses. 

Here is what I have done :

changed WEP to WPA  - nothing

changed WEP to WPA2 - nothing

Changed channel to 1, 11 or 6 in conjunction with the above - nothing

Set router to only B network in conjunction with the above - nothing

Set router to only G network in conjunction with the above - nothing

Reset my IPad's network settings about 5 times - nothing

None of those combinations worked which is a supreme headache at home, but out in the wild, there is no way to change these settings. 

Other people's iPads running the same version of IOS seem to connect - so why do some of ours not connect ? Does anyone have any other recommendations for me to get it working? Lastly, has anyone tested this issue with IOS7 ? I'm curious if 7 solves this. 

THANKS !!!!!

0 Likes
Re: FiOS router and Ipad problems persist. SOS
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

You said "My IPad absolutely will not connect to the FiOS router [ actiontec whichever ] not only at home but at any public place that uses it."

If the IPAD will NOT connct anywhere, it sounds like a problem with the IPAD.... Have you spoken to Apple about this?

Jim

hmhm1

Hi, 

Let me clarify -- it connects everywhere fine EXCEPT at any public spot that is using the Verizon/actiontec router. Good call. I clarified this in my original post. Any public spot where I encounter this problem [ Ipad says password is invalid no matter what ] -- I have checked and it's only with Verizon set-ups rather than Time Warner set-ups which work fine with the IPad [ I realize it is router related ] . 

I've never had problems connecting to wifi in any circumstance except for with the Verizon set-up. 

Thanks!

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@hmhm1 wrote:

Hi, 

Let me clarify -- it connects everywhere fine EXCEPT at any public spot that is using the Verizon/actiontec router. Good call. I clarified this in my original post. Any public spot where I encounter this problem [ Ipad says password is invalid no matter what ] -- I have checked and it's only with Verizon set-ups rather than Time Warner set-ups which work fine with the IPad [ I realize it is router related ] . 

I've never had problems connecting to wifi in any circumstance except for with the Verizon set-up. 

Thanks!

Public places normally have no passkey or passkey they local admin will provide you will.  SOme VERIZON WIFI hotspots require you to previously register and use a password you setup for access.  ITS NOT ONE OF THE EXISTING PASSWORDS you have.

See http://verizon.com/wifi

0 Likes
hmhm1

Hi TNS -

Lol - Yes, of course, I understand that public wifi spots have unique passwords that you get from the vendors. I wasn't expecting a password I used for my own wifi at home to work in a public wifi setting. 

Issues with the Ipad and logging into Verizon FIOS routers is well documented throughout the web , it's not a issue of not understanding how to log into public wif or use a router in general.  [ https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2580826?start=0&tstart=0 ] . The bug causes the IPad to not accept the password, even if it is the correct password. It has something to do with a combinaton of factors including an issue with the default WEP security mode that the actiontech routers use. Users recommend switching to WPA or WPA2 security and changing channel and wifi mode settings -- of course, you can't do that to someones router at a coffee shop --

The good news is that my upgrade to IOS7 fixed this issue entirely. Thankfully, Apple realized there was an issue and adjusted it. I hope it stays that way but so far so good.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@hmhm1 wrote:

The good news is that my upgrade to IOS7 fixed this issue entirely. Thankfully, Apple realized there was an issue and adjusted it. I hope it stays that way but so far so good.

So it was Apple's issue and not Verizon's/Actiontec's?  I'm shocked. Smiley Wink

0 Likes