FiOS router and switches
hussr
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have verizon's gigabit router/modem device and I'm planning on adding a cisco enterprise switch to the mix to provide several computers with internet access in my home. Is it possible to do port bonding between the fios router and my switch? My switch fully supports it but I'm not sure how to set this up to work with the fios router. So instead of having just one cable supplying access to the web to the switch from the router, I'd have two, which should in theory improve performance? right?

0 Likes
Re: FiOS router and switches
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Pretty sure its not supported.  Even if it was It still limited by the WAN connection.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

TNS_2 is correct.  It is not supported and he makes a valid point that there is no need for it.

What is the point of a 2Gbps (2x1Gbps) pipe from the router to your switch if your upload tier is only 50, 75 or even 150Mbps?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Connecting two ports up to the ActionTec router could be done if you wish to have a redundant connection back to the router. However, you MUST ensure Spanning Tree is enabled on the router and the switch, and both pieces of equipment must support the protocols required to set a port to reserved automatically until the primary port goes down.

Using two ports on the ActionTec without link aggregation support or proper Spanning Tree support will cause a loop on your network and take it down very quickly.

IMO, just use a Single Gigabit port back to the router. Put your bandwidth heavy devices on the Cisco switch and connect the rest to the ActionTec.

0 Likes