FiOS service outage in 21093
Stolog
Enthusiast - Level 3
Does anyone have any information on the FiOS service outage in the 21093context zip code? The entire neighborhood is without service since yesterday afternoon. A tchhnician was at the neighbors house but did not fix the issue and provided no additional information. Veeizon says it will be fixed Sunday but what kind of repair takes over 36 hours to complete? I can understand if it was just me but it's a large number of people that are completly without service.
0 Likes
Re: FiOS service outage in 21093
Jeepty

I am no where near you, but in the 92399 area code there has been a month long outage. I sincerely hope that yours has been fixed in a mere 36 hours....

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Stolog wrote:
Does anyone have any information on the FiOS service outage in the 21093context zip code? The entire neighborhood is without service since yesterday afternoon. A tchhnician was at the neighbors house but did not fix the issue and provided no additional information. Veeizon says it will be fixed Sunday but what kind of repair takes over 36 hours to complete? I can understand if it was just me but it's a large number of people that are completly without service.

Fiber cables take more time to repair, especally if the problem is a Fiber cut. Normally Verizon will be able to get a truck with a Fiber lab out to repair the problem. Copper's easy to fix, since you can "bandage" the problem until a real fix can be put in place. There's a good chance Verizon is waiting on some additional supplies needed to fix the problem, though.

0 Likes
Stolog
Enthusiast - Level 3

Turns out it was a cut overhead fiber line that took Verizon 2 days to repair. Still no explination why it took 2 days to get a lineman out to do a simple cable splice.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Stolog wrote:

Turns out it was a cut overhead fiber line that took Verizon 2 days to repair. Still no explination why it took 2 days to get a lineman out to do a simple cable splice.

Like mentioned, splicing and testing Fiber isn't as easy as copper. When my DSL and Phone service went out two months ago from a Fiber cut, it took Verizon nearly 24 hours to splice a new cable into the equipment, and that is just for a few strands. They were working throughout the entire time, two trucks, one with a fiber lab on a busy road to fix the cut. They have to test the cable, splice it properly, on top of removing the cable and reconnecting it to the gear.