Fiber Nic?
igobywill1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been browsing this forum and I am impressed by the User community which gives me the courage to ask my question.  

First I would like to state that  the basis of this question/thread is more or less meant for me to gain more knowledge and try somthing out. I am not experiencing any technical issues. Just looking for guidence from experienced FIOS customers or gurus..Smiley Happy

I have been stationed over seas for the better part of 3 years. Being forced to deal with ridiculously slow internet speeds or no internet at all. Last year when I was finally arriving home from Okinawa I built myself a PC and once and for all became a member of the FIOS fan club 😉 but before I could really "Unleash" on its full potential I was deployed for 8 months to the middle east. Now with less than 30 days to go before I am stateside again I am very excited to get home. 

I have a few different Fiber Nic's a ton of miscellaneous Fiber patch cables a few media converters and the essential tools needed to do any networking troublecall. Dont worry I am not going to be be modifing any Verizon devices lol. 

What would be the best way to incorporate one of those NIC's to recieve the FIOS connection? I feel out of the loop not being around when the guys were installing this stuff in my house so I feel like direct fiber to PC is out of the question. Especially being that its commercial internet and I am fairly certain all devices have to run through the router Verizon provided.

So if any of you ladies or gentlemen are up to helping me out or actually took the time to read all of this I thank you. 

0 Likes
Re: Fiber Nic?
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Greeting, and welcome to the forum.....

If you have FiOS TV service, in addition to Internet, you will want to use the Verizon router to provide TV features such as the TV guide, etc.

If you only have Internet, you can use a 3rd party router but you'll need to have Verizon configure your ONT for Ethernet output, rather than coax.

Once you have a router installed, how you connect your PC to it may depend on what speed plan you've subscribed to.  I have 75/75 mb/s and get more than advertised output using Cat 5 or Cat 6 cable from the Verizon router, through an 8 port switch, and to my PCs.

A simple Ethernet connection from router-to-PC will work in most cases.

Happy Thanksgiving and I hope that 30 days go by quickly! 

igobywill1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for your reply and Happy Thanksgiving to you too! 

A lot of of people have viewd my question and you were the only one so far to actually take the time and give me some advice. That means a lot to me 🙂 

At the moment I have the 75/75 and we do get our TV services from Verizon as well. Utilizing the Fiber nic cards I have on hand is somthing I want to do because I enjoy all aspects of Networking and Systems administration. Its a hobby of mine.(and my career in the in the military)

My reasoning for coming to this forum is to gain Knowledge from people like you. Being out of the loop for so long I do not know where to begin with what I can and cannot do when it comes to my FIOS setup. You meantioned I have to use the Verizon router if I have the TV combo which makes sense. So making my wife happy with her "Stars" subscription means I cannot play with any 3rd party devices?  

The bottom line is I love getting hands on and technical. I will be expanding/upgrading my home network/office to include Servers and storage and want to know what my ISP is capable of. Not just from Verizons website but from the perspective of actual customers.

I fully understand that Cat5/6 will be able to satisfy just about anything I will be able to throw at it  in a home enviroment. I just wanted to see if I could viably incorporate the fiber NIC's because I have them and all the accompanying accessories.  

Thanks again!

-Will 

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Will....

You may get some answers from other fellow users over time.  Being the day-before-Thankgiving, many are probably pretty busy.

Anyway, you might scroll through this FAQ and see if any of the subjects tweak your interest:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios

I personally don't have any experience with fiber NICs.  I've had satisfactory performance spreading my FiOS service around using MoCA adapters, tradtional switches and routers, and Ethernet cable.

If you come up with a specific combo you want to implement, come back with the model number(s) of the device(s) you want to use and the specific configuration you want to use them in.  That may allow a user with appropriate experience to chime in with some help.

Good luck

--eljefe

Former two-digit-midget many years ago

0 Likes
igobywill1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I read you load in clear.... Just letting the excitement get the better of me. 

Thank you for the help.

I will be checking out those FAQ's and following your advice. 

Outstanding that you served as well it is a double count down for me, less than 30 until I am home and 90 until I EAS. 

Happy holidays. 

-Will

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

If you're thinking that you might somehow terminate the VZ fiber using your own NIC, that will not work.  VZ's fiber can only be terminated by their Optical Network Terminal (ONT).  The ONT will hand off the WAN connection to a router either via coax/MOCA or via cat5/ethernet.  You probably want to request that the ONT be provisioned for a cat5/ethernet handoff

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16753

Once you have a cat5 WAN handoff from the ONT, you can pretty much do what you want with it.  If you want to convert that back to fiber to run to your own router, that's up to you, although I don;t see much point in it since cat5 is adequate to handle any WAN speed VZ offers.

0 Likes
javi404

Simple answer is you won't be able to connect to verizon using fiber unless your looking for verizon enterprize business service.

The fios service only hands off via MoCa to their Actiontec router or Ethernet which is what you want.

Just make sure you do some kind of MoCa bridging so your set top boxes can download VOD guide data etc.

0 Likes