File Sharing through Actiontec router
JohnS

I am having trouble setting up file sharing through the Actiontec router.  I have one wired and one wireless connection.  I set up the workgroups and sharing on each machiine, but they can't see each other in Network Places.  When I brought the wireless laptop to the router and made it wired, everything worked, so I'm suspicious that the problem is in the router configuration.

Any help would be appreciated.

John

0 Likes
Re: File Sharing through Actiontec router
jkiv
Contributor - Level 1
You didn't say what OS you are using, but If you are using Vista go to the Network & Sharing Center and make sure that you have it set for "Private Network"  if it's "Public" you wont be able to see other computers on the Network by default.  This is only for 'Wireless' networks.  When your connected by wire this is n/a.
0 Likes
jedf

I'm having the same problem.  Both machines are running OSX 10.5.6. 

I can't connect from wired to wireless or vice versa.  Sometimes a machine will show up in the Finder but when you try to connect it will fail.  I've tried disabling the built in OSX firewall but that hasn't helped. 

It seems the router is blocking the connection somehow.

Has anyone figured out a solution to this?

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Strangely enough, I had this problem until this afternoon, when it magically started working, and I have no idea why.

A brief background: I have had printer and file sharing set up for several years, using a different router, a wired PC with XP, and a laptop with XP. Never had a problem, although I used it pretty rarely. 4 or 5 months ago I installed an Actiontec; I can't remember for sure, but I don't think I have been able to share ever since then. 

When I saw this thread I decided to take a look again. Sure enough I could not share files when the laptop was connected wirelessly. But when I turned the wireless adapter off on the laptop and connected with ethernet, it worked just fine, no changes to any definitions. So then I disconnected the ethernet cable and turned the wireless on, and amazingly, it continued to work. I rebooted the laptop, it still worked. I powered it off and on, and it still worked. I put the laptop into hibernation for 4 or 5 hours, it still worked. I have turned the laptop completely off again and plan to wait until tomorrow morning to see what happens.

I did go through the wireless options on the Actiontec, I did not see anything that seemed like it would affect file sharing, and I did not change any definitions. 

Until tomorrow.....and if anybody can explain this, it would be great.

Keller, TX

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Well, a day late...powered on the laptop, tried file sharing, and it continues to work! I have no idea what I did to make it work, but good for me I guess...now to see how long it works...

Keller, TX

0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3
Do the Actiontec Routers support File and Printer Sharing? Is there anything that needs to be done, to enable it? Yes, the Actiontec Routers support File and Printer Sharing. No, it does not require enabling. There are no settings on the Actiontec Routers and Gateways with regard to Sharing, it is the router's default behavior. All of the settings for Sharing are on the computers (or printers, or NAS, etc...) themselves. The Actiontec MI424WR and RI408 routers have only one additional feature that can effect File and Printer Sharing (computers that can 'see each other' or a networked printer on the network). As stated earlier, the default behavior of these Actiontec routers allows this activity with no restrictions. Wireless devices have access to each other and to Wired devices, whether Ethernet or USB. The reverse is also true, Wired devices (like a PC) have full access to other Wired devices (like a printer or NAS), as well as Wireless devices (whether PC or printer). Provided that the PCs in question have a functioning Internet connection through the Actiontec Router. Then... If a device can not 'see' the network or access resources on the network, the cause will be on the devices themselves. If it is a printer, then it may be a network TCP/IP setting or missing protocol. If it is a server or workstation that cannot be accessed, then it will be TCP/IP settings, Firewall settings or mis-configured Sharing on the PC. The only setting that can restrict Sharing is Advanced Filtering, in the Firewall Settings section. To repeat it again, the default setting does not restrict ANY internal traffic. However, these routers allow for the creation of VLANs, and Advanced Filtering allows the User to keep the VLANs separate if they wish or to isolate or certain IP addresses. Advanced Filtering allows a great deal of control. If the User has blocked something unintentionally, the rule can be deleted, or the router can be Reset to return it to default values again.
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

cjacobs001,

I appreciate your posting, but could you do me a favor? When you are going to make a post more than just 5 or 6 lines long, would you please, please split it up into paragraphs, with a blank line between them? Or even better, separate your points as 1, 2, 3, or a, b, c, etc? I may just be getting old, but I find it very difficult to read that long of a paragraph, and when I want to go back into the text to re-read something, it is often very hard to find. Thanks!

I still don't know where the problem was, because right now I don't have the problem. And all I did to get it to work, I promise, was:

1) Connect my laptop using ethernet instead of wireless, where it worked (and that worked for the OP)

- and -

2) Disconnect the ethernet and go back to wireless, and it suddenly worked

And keep in mind that I had used file and printer sharing for several years before I got the Actiontec, and it always worked, then never worked, and now seems to work just fine again, and all I did was connect my laptop wired one time. No changes to any definitions on either PC or the router.

If you (or anybody else) can explain this behavior, I will be very grateful, because I really expect it to quit working again.

Keller, TX

0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3
Justin:  settings on your devices that are connected to the internet can be changed, whether TCP\IP settings, or firewall settings, or whatever, every time you connect to the internet or at anytime thereafter by means of a trojan or bug 'bomb' and such.  If it happens again you just need to know which settings CAN affect your LAN connections and then also what those settings should be, so that you can (a) discover what is wrong when it is not working, and (b) fix it. 
0 Likes
PennStan
Enthusiast - Level 2

JohnS - did you ever figure out what's happening?  I have the same problem.  In fact, I posted my situation to this forum on 12/27 and then saw your post.  I had no problems with the network prior to the switch to the new router.  Thankfully all my wireless devices (one wireless PC, TIVO, Wii) can connect to the internet.  However, none can see the other via the network.  I agree with the previous poster that malware and the like can affect the settings, but I believe my system is locked down pretty tight on that front.  I'm by no means a computer wiz but have set up the network previously with no problems.  I may not know ALL the settings that could affect the connectivity.

Connecting with a wire is not an option due to the distance between the router and wireless PC.  I previously had a linksys WRT54G.

Anyone else have anything new to add?  Thanks.

0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3

the problem you are experiencing is not an issue caused by a Verizon product, service, or device used as directed by verizon.  With the upgrades in security found in all Windows OS's from XP SP2 to the newest, 'sharing' a network asset has become more complex.  IF your actiontec router is at a point where it is 'blocking' file sharing, it has been changed from the default settings and can be returned to default by resetting the router via holding in the reset button for at least 15 seconds.  Once that is complete, if you still cannot 'see' network assets, read-up on 'sharing' network devices, 'sharing' wireless assets,  'sharing' folders on assets that are not shared, and OS requirements for access by remote users.  Also, please see my above post.  Knowledge will set you free. 

On a lighter note.. my apologies if I sound in any way rude.    The thing is, the answer to this issue is not only NOT a verizon-caused issue, but its also NOT one that any person can 'just blurt-out an answer to", meaning that there are so many POSSIBLE things that need to be considered to find a possible answer, that it would be hard to find someone to do so in a forum such as this. 

0 Likes