Re: File Sharing through Actiontec router
jedf

I have to disagree with you that it's an OS or configuration problem.  I am using OSX 10.5.6 and am experiencing the same problem as others using Windows. None of my computers can see each other on the network nor share files as before.

The main reason I believe it to be the fault of the Actiontec router is that everything was working just fine before I started using the Actiontec.  I had a linksys before and my wired and wireless machines (some OSX, some Windows) had no problems seeing and sharing with each other.  And I am using the Actiontec with all it's original settings.

Also, see this link on TechGuy.org - the poster claims "there is a known issue with the firmware" of the Actiontec MI424WR rev C.  I can't say on what authority he knows this, but it seems to make the most sense of anything I've heard.

I think we're all {word filter avoidance} until Actiontec updates their firmware.  If anyone else has this same problem, please post a note on this forum so Verizon knows how many of us are suffering with this problem!

Message Edited by jedf on 12-28-2008 07:59 PM
Message Edited by KaLin on 12-28-2008 10:32 PM
0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3
you can easily update your firmware, then try
0 Likes
jedf
Unfortunately I'm already using the latest firmware and the problem continues.  That's why I said we need to wait for them to issue a firmware update.  The current firmware seems faulty.
0 Likes
PennStan
Enthusiast - Level 2
Got mine to work!!  Read the messages in techguy.org and saw the reply about Norton 360 putting the new router into protected status.  I am using Norton 360 and checked that out.  The actiontec router was listed under Norton in protected status.  Changed it to shared status on both pc's (wireless and wired) and now file/printer sharing works.  BTW - my router is hardware version D.  Good luck to the everyone else.  Thanks for all discussion.
0 Likes
JohnS

Just a follow up to let you know what I found.  In reviewing the router setup I found that my wireless machine and my wired machine were on different subnets - wired on 192.168.1.0 and wireless on 192.168.4.0.  After trying in vain to change the config to put them on the same subnet, I gave up and clicked on Restore Default Config.  When the router came back up, all the devices were on the same subnet, and sharing worked.

It turns out the configuration on the router as installed was not the default.  When I set it to the default, everything worked.

John

0 Likes
RichMan

Really?  Nothing due to Verizon Actiontec router, or Verizon techs?

Perhaps you can explain why everything worked with Linksys router, but file sharing does not with Actiontec?

0 Likes
RichMan
My experience exacly.
0 Likes
KMK

I had the same problem after getting FIOS. It didn't start immediately but all of a sudden I couldn't access other PCs on my network, 3 XP and 1 Vista. The Vista machine had no problems. After checking around the Internet, I found this thread which gave me some ideas. I went to the Mictosoft site and found the following document:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727013.aspx

The following is from that document and based on how I read it I changed my XP machines to "Enable TCP/IP over NetBIOS". It kind of made sense to me that a change in the DHCP device might might explain why my old router had no issues. At this point in time I am accessing all my shared folders from all my machines. I'll repost if it changes.

Enabling NetBIOS over TCP/IP

You can enable NetBT for computers running Windows Server 2003 or Windows XP by opening Network Connections, right-clicking a connection, clicking the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) component, clicking Properties, clicking Advanced, clicking the WINS tab, and clicking the appropriate option in NetBIOS setting. Figure 11-2 shows the WINS tab.

Figure 11-2  The WINS tab

Figure 11-2 The WINS tab

For the NetBIOS setting, you can choose any of the following options:

• Default Enables NetBT if the network connection has a static IPv4 address configuration. If the network connection uses the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP), it uses the DHCP options in the received DHCPOffer message to either disable NetBT or enable and configure NetBT. To disable NetBT using DHCP, configure the Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP (NetBT) Microsoft vendor-specific option for the value of 2. This is the default setting for LAN connections.

• Enable TCP/IP over NetBIOS Enables NetBT, regardless of the DHCP options received. This is the default setting for remote connections (dial-up or virtual private network).

• Disable TCP/IP over NetBIOS Disables NetBT, regardless of the DHCP options received.

NetBT is not required for computers running Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Server 2003 unless you use NetBIOS applications on your network, such as the Computer Browser service. The Computer Browser service maintains the list of computers in the Microsoft Windows Network window of My Network Places. Unlike versions of Windows prior to Windows 2000, file and printer sharing with Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Server 2003 can operate without the use of NetBT.

0 Likes
Jon

I am also having problem getting file sharing to work through the Actiontec router

My situation is that I've been a FIOS internet customer for quite a while and was using the old Dlink DI-604 router.  They recently sent me a new Actiontec router because of a problem I was having (unrelated to file sharing).  When I hooked up the new router my file sharing stopped working.  I can unplug everything from the Actiontec router and plug everything into the Dlink DI-604 router (doing an 'ipconfig /renew' on each PC) and then file sharing works again.  Switch back to the Actiontec router and file sharing stops working.

So, clearly, this is an issue with the router and has nothing to do with my OS.  I cannot get file sharing to work either wired or wireless

0 Likes
Jon

A bit more information

* Through the Actiontec router, I can't even ping other PC's on my home network - I can when using the DLink DI-604 router.

* I tried restoring factory defaults on the Actiontec router.  The only change I then made was to set and admin password and setup a WEP password for wireless

* I have NOT updated the firmware - I have version 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.11.3.  I tried doing a check version, and it says no new version is available; so, is this the most current firmware version?

0 Likes