File Transfers (upload) getting disconnected
PhilBr
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am having a serious issue with transfering files. I upgraded from Brighthouse to FIOS's 35/35 so I can upload videos and photos to my parents. The issue is with the upstream file transfers. Not only do they run at a fraction of the advertised speed (250-450kb/sec per connection) but on files larger than roughly 500MB, the connection magically gets interrupted and times out.

At first I thought it might be software / hardware related. So here's what I tried.

FTP server (had issues)

tried setting up a torrent application to host my private torrent that i emailed them. (same issue would fail on anything over 500 or 600mb)

I also tried setting up on a different PC. I tried WinXP, Vista and Windows 7.

Also, during transfers, if you look at the transfer speed, it's all over, down to 170kb/sec then 250, 450, 500, back down to 200, and up again. Our previous ISP was roughly a straight line.

Does any one else experience this?

Thanks,

-Phil

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: File Transfers (upload) getting disconnected
PhilBr
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just a follow up on this old thread incase someone else has this problem.

I recently had 10 CAT6 cables run through the house, 1 was the the ONT to switch from MoCa to Ethernet, and it seems (so far, and knock on wood) that my ~500mb disconnect.

Also, upload speeds are roughly 800kb/sec per tcp connection (tested this with uploads to go daddy) but sending 2-3 files at a time they will each maintain that ~800kb/sec speed. I do wish I could send 1 file at 2mb/sec but oh well, it's better than before I guess.

Anyways, I hope I didn't jinx myself, but so far this seems to have cleared my issues.

View solution in original post

Hubrisnxs
Legend

@PhilBr wrote:

I am having a serious issue with transfering files. I upgraded from Brighthouse to FIOS's 35/35 so I can upload videos and photos to my parents. The issue is with the upstream file transfers. Not only do they run at a fraction of the advertised speed (250-450kb/sec per connection) but on files larger than roughly 500MB, the connection magically gets interrupted and times out.

At first I thought it might be software / hardware related. So here's what I tried.

FTP server (had issues)

tried setting up a torrent application to host my private torrent that i emailed them. (same issue would fail on anything over 500 or 600mb)

I also tried setting up on a different PC. I tried WinXP, Vista and Windows 7.

Also, during transfers, if you look at the transfer speed, it's all over, down to 170kb/sec then 250, 450, 500, back down to 200, and up again. Our previous ISP was roughly a straight line.

Does any one else experience this?

Thanks,

-Phil

Select passive mode in the client settings. It seems that makes a variety of servers happier.   I don't have any problems running FTP on my fios 

0 Likes
PhilBr
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was using passive mode. I gave it a range of 100 ports and those were forwarded accordingly on the router as well.

Also, like I said in my desperation I installed uTorrent and Vuze to try and send my movies as a torrent. Those also would get interrupted, but atleast those resumed where they had left off after a router reboot or closing / re-opening the software (causing a new connection to be established).

Also, my experience in the past with lacking passive ports, or improperly setup, is the client can login and browse the directory, but is unable to start a download.

thanks,

-Phil

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Do you have FiOS TV and are the machines you are trying to do ftp with using a specific IP?

I mention that, because the TV's might be fighting with your configuration.  each cable box gets an IP Address, and they start in the .100 range.    so if you have 4 boxes, it would be .100, .101, .102 etc...

0 Likes
PhilBr
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yup, I had read that the actiontec router assigns ip addresses starting at .100 for STB, so I have a fixed IP on the ftp computer less than 100, I also have a NAS which I also gave an ipaddress sub 100.

Then the DHCP, I made it start at .120 and go up. (I'll never have 20 TV cable boxes, but I'm also not going to have over 100 devices connected either, so that's plenty of room).

To answer your question though, no STB were on at the time, but they don't actually turn off when you switch the power. They remain active on the network.

thanks,

-Phil

0 Likes
PhilBr
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just a follow up on this old thread incase someone else has this problem.

I recently had 10 CAT6 cables run through the house, 1 was the the ONT to switch from MoCa to Ethernet, and it seems (so far, and knock on wood) that my ~500mb disconnect.

Also, upload speeds are roughly 800kb/sec per tcp connection (tested this with uploads to go daddy) but sending 2-3 files at a time they will each maintain that ~800kb/sec speed. I do wish I could send 1 file at 2mb/sec but oh well, it's better than before I guess.

Anyways, I hope I didn't jinx myself, but so far this seems to have cleared my issues.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

That is great to hear/read that. I would recommend marking as solved.

0 Likes
PhilBr
Enthusiast - Level 3

thanks solution set.

0 Likes