File sharing over local network not working
kolhapur87

I have two computers on my network. I have File Sharing turned on for the server. It says "Other users can access shared folders on this computer, and administrators all volumes, at "afp://192.168.1.154" or "smb://192.168.1.154"."

On my client computer I try and connect to smb://192.168.1.154 and get an error message "There was a problem connecting to the server "196.168.1.154". The server may not exist or it is unavailable at this time. Check the server name or IP address, check your network connection, and then try again."

I also have a web server running on port 80, and my client machine cannot connect to that. My client machine also cannot ssh into my server even though I have a working ssh server on that machine. 

I believe that my router is blocking these ports. Scanning my network with nmap only revealed my client machine and the router itself, even though there are other devices on the network. How do I set my router to allow local traffic on given ports and to allow file sharing to work?

Thank you very much.

0 Likes
Re: File sharing over local network not working
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello!

Is this using the G1100 router ("quantum gateway")? Or the older Aciontec router?

The router should not affect any LAN traffic in terms of blocking traffic. Are you connecting using WiFi? I know the G1100 has a guest WiFi mode that I believe enables you to block access to LAN devices, but if your using the standard WiFi then there should be no filtering on your LAN done by the router itself.

What OS is the server? If windows, have you ensured that windows firewall has been turned off / configured correctly?