Re: FioS Network Adapter
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Get a cable tester and you should be able to figure out the rats nest.  Here's one:

https://www.amazon.com/Jonard-CM-8-Cable-Mapper-Length/dp/B00696265Q

Good Luck.

jedam
Enthusiast - Level 3

Wow, that looks promising -- thank you!

Just a follow-up question: the product description says "probe not included," and one of the reviewers writes that "You do need your own wand from a telephone toner." Is that "probe" the same thing as this "wand," and do you know what they're talking about there?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the coax is not connected it is most likely with the main splitter. Follow the coax coming out of the ONT to wherever the first splitter is and chances are there will be a unterminated coax. The main splitter is likely to be in the basement or outside. Wiring from the second floor is typically ran from the attic down so it is also possible that it is not connected up in the attic. If you have a newer house the cable is probably a homerun from the jack to the main splitter. 

jedam
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Edg1 wrote:

If the coax is not connected it is most likely with the main splitter. Follow the coax coming out of the ONT to wherever the first splitter is and chances are there will be a unterminated coax. The main splitter is likely to be in the basement or outside. Wiring from the second floor is typically ran from the attic down so it is also possible that it is not connected up in the attic. If you have a newer house the cable is probably a homerun from the jack to the main splitter. 

I took a flashlight into the fuse-box closet and took a good, hard look around to see if it was possible to tease out where each line came from and went to. Some lines go out of a 4-way Verizon MoCA splitter and others, as predicted, are just dangling there.

Fortunately, it turns out that the previous installer (Comcast) labeled the wires. There are three ("kitchen," "bed 2" and "bed 4") that aren't connected to anything. The "kitchen" coax is terminated normally, but the other two (and Murphy's Law dictates that these are the ones we need for my wife) are simply cut off at the tip.

So I may be looking at terminating one or both of these cables. How hard is it to do that? Never done anything like it before, don't know if I have the right tools. I have some homework to do. Smiley Happy

The other question is that I would need a splitter that can handle more than 4 lines. Would Verizon be OK with my changing out their splitter? And, what should I be looking for? Here's the info on the front of the Verizon splitter:

Verizon

4-WAY MoCA 2.0 SPLITTER 5-1675 MHz

MMC1004HA

Of the 5 connectors on the splitter, one is labeled "IN" and the other 4 each say "-7dB OUT".

So assuming that I'm allowed to change out this splitter, what should I be looking for to replace it?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You own the cables and 4-way splitter and can do whatever you want with them.

You can simply add a two-way spillter to one of the outputs from the 4-way splitter.  I think the extender ships with one in the box.  If not, you can buy one online or any store that sells TV accessories (Target, Home Depot, …).  If it says 5-1675MHz, you’re good.  A MoCA label is nice, but not required.  Here’s one I found online:

https://www.amazon.com/Holland-Electronics-GHS-2Pro-M-Splitter-5-1675Mhz/dp/B00P6VHLP0

If you have to crimp connectors onto the cables, it’s not that hard.  You can find the tools online or at Home Depot / Lowes / local hardware store.  You should be able to find tutorials online or find a helpful person at the store.

Good Luck.

jedam
Enthusiast - Level 3

@jonjones wrote:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-Coax-Installation-and-Testing-Kit-with-Connector-VDV002818/2...

its very easy. These kits give instructions on how to do it.

or watch this video

https://youtu.be/0i-YWTmC-l8

Thanks, that looks like even i could do it!

0 Likes
jedam
Enthusiast - Level 3

@gs0b wrote:

You own the cables and 4-way splitter and can do whatever you want with them.

You can simply add a two-way spillter to one of the outputs from the 4-way splitter.  I think the extender ships with one in the box.  If not, you can buy one online or any store that sells TV accessories (Target, Home Depot, …).  If it says 5-1675MHz, you’re good.  A MoCA label is nice, but not required.  Here’s one I found online:

https://www.amazon.com/Holland-Electronics-GHS-2Pro-M-Splitter-5-1675Mhz/dp/B00P6VHLP0

If you have to crimp connectors onto the cables, it’s not that hard.  You can find the tools online or at Home Depot / Lowes / local hardware store.  You should be able to find tutorials online or find a helpful person at the store.

Good Luck.

Great, with this info together with the one @jonjones gave, I think I have all the elements needed to solve the problem!

I'll have to play around with the placing of the new splitter, to make sure that we're still getting strong enough signals everywhere after the changes. There's one outlet where we've had signal-strength issues and I ended up putting in an amplifier.

Thanks to everyone who pitched in with ideas and information. I'm not closing the book officially, in case we run into a snag, but I do want to say I appreciate your help.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'll have to play around with the placing of the new splitter, to make sure that we're still getting strong enough signals everywhere after the changes. There's one outlet where we've had signal-strength issues and I ended up putting in an amplifier.

I'm guessing that  your previous signal problems were on cable, as the ONT puts out a very strong signal.  It can drive lots of splits.  Standard cable amplifiers eat MoCA signals and shouldn't be used, but it is very unlikely that you'll need one.

jedam
Enthusiast - Level 3

@gs0b wrote:

I'm guessing that  your previous signal problems were on cable, as the ONT puts out a very strong signal.  It can drive lots of splits.  Standard cable amplifiers eat MoCA signals and shouldn't be used, but it is very unlikely that you'll need one.

Yeah, we did have weak signals from Comcast and I had to put in a 10dB amplifier to watch TV in my office. When the Verizon installer came in, he took out the amplifier and said, "Here, you won't be needing this any more." Hopefully that'll hold up when the splitter goes in!

If it turns out that the (further) split signal isn't strong enough, what options would there be for beefing it up?

0 Likes