Re: Fios 35/35 Internet Upgrade
prisaz
Legend

@jpj1009 wrote:

I had the 612 ONT installed yesterday. The initial speed test was slow on the upload. The technician who installed the ONT called the tech support people and they had to change a few settings on their end and then reset the router. I now am receiving about 35mps download and about 34 mps upload.

I am glad after a little ONT swapping and tweaking, you are able to get good two way speeds. It appears that perhaps the 610 and 611 have similar issues. I wonder if it was the ONT, or the settings on their end.

Thanks for keeping us posted. 35/34 is about the best you could hope for, but 35/29 is nothing to sneeze at.

0 Likes
BurtReynolds
Contributor - Level 1

Well at least you are close to your plan. 

I only have the 15/5, but just got 7/4 on SpeedTest.  Usually it is more like 4/4.  Needless to say, it doesn't lead me to believe that spending the money to get th higher tier would net me the results I desire.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@BurtReynolds wrote:

I only have the 15/5, but just got 7/4 on SpeedTest.  Usually it is more like 4/4.  Needless to say, it doesn't lead me to believe that spending the money to get th higher tier would net me the results I desire.

If you are getting only 7/4 I would say your set up has issues. Have you tried the speed optimizer on the support website. I had 15/2 for a few years and never was less than 14 unless the PC was having trouble.

0 Likes
BurtReynolds
Contributor - Level 1

I ran that optimizer and it seems to help a bit.  Speedtest.net usually says about 8/4.5 now.  I did get a 10.7/4.5 once.

I also ran a Java based speed test at myspeed.visualware and saw 11.9/4.6.  Still not 15, but I guess its a bit better.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@BurtReynolds wrote:

Have you contacted tech support. I would if I were you. Have you tried it with a different computer? I know some people only have one, but I thought I would ask. Are you test over a wireless connection or is your computer hardwired to the router? I know if you are connecting with wireless over 802.11b you will see exacty what you are getting. You would need a wireless G adaptor to get close to what FIOS can provide. I am in Montgomery County and have consistant speeds. Here is my speed test.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/734222216.png

0 Likes
Antonio

I ran the Optimizer in all PC's and still get 35 down and up to 18 up. After an hour of trouble shooting and a new router replacement i still get the same. Called Verizon and they are sending a Tech as they can not figure out what is happening. Question: do you see/notice a big difference in the upgrade?. I had 20/5 and do not see a big difference going uo to 35 download.

i will post on Monday after the Tech tries to solve the upload issue.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@Antonio wrote:

I ran the Optimizer in all PC's and still get 35 down and up to 18 up. After an hour of trouble shooting and a new router replacement i still get the same. Called Verizon and they are sending a Tech as they can not figure out what is happening. Question: do you see/notice a big difference in the upgrade?. I had 20/5 and do not see a big difference going uo to 35 download.

i will post on Monday after the Tech tries to solve the upload issue.

If you do not have the ONT 612 you should still get at least 29 up. You may not notice much with the 35 down because many sites can not deliver at that speed. If you connect to a specific web site or that will support the high speed, you sill notice a difference. Also if you are running multiple users on your private network, you will also benefit, but the Verizon router NAT table will long crap out before you fill the 35mbps pipe with multiple users if they are playing online games.

Any creative programers out there? Here is the Linux Source for the Verizon routers. Still looking for HW specs.

http://www.westell.com/index.php?searchword=9100&image.x=0&image.y=0&image=submitsearch&option=com_s...

0 Likes
Antonio

Thanks. The Tech just left. He replaced the ONT with a new 611 with higher serial no. (we are a business, so the 612 is not available). He cleaned the fiber outside (siad was okay) then optimized the PC's for 10-2 package which he said allows for higher uplaod on the test. Testing on the speedtest.verizon.net we go up to 29 on the upload. On retests went down to 17 upload. He said that this problem of not getting up to 35 up is a problem in Florida on heir end. the Customer service folks say that they do not warrantee any speed. I ended uptimizing back to 35/35. So for the time being as you say 29 up is a good thing until they figure out the fix. FYI, the Verizon tech was awesome.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@Antonio wrote:

Thanks. The Tech just left. He replaced the ONT with a new 611 with higher serial no. (we are a business, so the 612 is not available). He cleaned the fiber outside (siad was okay) then optimized the PC's for 10-2 package which he said allows for higher uplaod on the test. Testing on the speedtest.verizon.net we go up to 29 on the upload. On retests went down to 17 upload. He said that this problem of not getting up to 35 up is a problem in Florida on heir end. the Customer service folks say that they do not warrantee any speed. I ended uptimizing back to 35/35. So for the time being as you say 29 up is a good thing until they figure out the fix. FYI, the Verizon tech was awesome.

The fix is a 612 ONT. I have not heard of it not being available to a business. What was his explanation for not giving you a 612? What does it not support for a business? Anything that it does support that a business can not use can be turned off. There is no fix to go faster then 29 up unless you upgrade to the 612.

0 Likes
jkiv
Contributor - Level 1

Where do you find the Model Information on the ONT?  I just looked mine over out of curiosity and couldn't find it.

0 Likes