Fios 5GHZ WIFI extremely slow only for WeChat app
Gagaliya

Hi guys,

i have fios 1gb internet with very decent wifi speed on the 5GHZ wifi at around 500mb download and upload. When I connect my iPad to the 5GHZ wifi everything is very fast except the wechat app ( it's like Snapchat type app that is widely used in Asia).

This wechat app is insanely slow on the 5GHZ wifi, like every single voice chat and photo takes 30 seconds to 1 min to download.

But when I switch to the 2.4 GHZ wifi at around 30 mb download, the wechat app goes back to normal all the voice chat and photos download in less than a second. Before fios I had cable internet, and wechat also worked perfectly fine.

i have been trying to debug this for months but for the life of me cannot figure out why the 5GHZ wifi is making wechat so slow. This is very frustrating because all my extended family use wechat to keep in touch daily, so I need to switch to 2.4 ghz wifi constantly just to download the wechat voice chats and photos then switch back to 5 ghz for everything else to take advantage of the much faster speed.

I am located in edgewater NJ,  any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Fios 5GHZ WIFI extremely slow only for WeChat app
jonjones1
Legend

@Gagaliya wrote:

Hi guys,

i have fios 1gb internet with very decent wifi speed on the 5GHZ wifi at around 500mb download and upload. When I connect my iPad to the 5GHZ wifi everything is very fast except the wechat app ( it's like Snapchat type app that is widely used in Asia).

This wechat app is insanely slow on the 5GHZ wifi, like every single voice chat and photo takes 30 seconds to 1 min to download.

But when I switch to the 2.4 GHZ wifi at around 30 mb download, the wechat app goes back to normal all the voice chat and photos download in less than a second. Before fios I had cable internet, and wechat also worked perfectly fine.

i have been trying to debug this for months but for the life of me cannot figure out why the 5GHZ wifi is making wechat so slow. This is very frustrating because all my extended family use wechat to keep in touch daily, so I need to switch to 2.4 ghz wifi constantly just to download the wechat voice chats and photos then switch back to 5 ghz for everything else to take advantage of the much faster speed.

I am located in edgewater NJ,  any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

I know that iPad has the ability to use the faster 5Ghz. Since we own loads of them. However the range is poor in comparison to 2.4 Ghz. Which is more stable and can be accessed at longer distances. If the chat app works as it should on 2.4 Ghz. Then use it on that band. 5 Ghz. Is not really that good for moving from room to room or far from the router.

don't get sleepy or cranky because 5 Ghz. Is not functioning as you want it.

the chat app is working fast on your 2.4 Ghz.

Good Luck

0 Likes
Gagaliya

sorry but this really doesnt help.  i know the difference between 5ghz and 2.4ghz.

My problem is even if i am next to the router on 5ghz wifi wth excellent connection, everything else loads extremely fast except for the wechat app.  If i switch to 2.4ghz, wechat app also loads fast. 

Just stay with 2.4ghz really isnt what i am looking for, i like to know why ONLY the wechat app not anything else is slow on the 5ghz wifi.  Obviously it's not an issue with the signal strength as it's only a problem for this 1 app. My wife and i tried on multiple iphones, ipads - all same issue on the 5ghz wifi. 

0 Likes
Varg
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am tempted to say this is WeChat specific problem. But a comparison with the behavior with Skype or another chat/instant messaging app might help.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

It may not be the answer you want to read but it is the most helpful answer.

The webchat is functional on the lower band 2.4Ghz. as you state. so you may have to use that band for the app.

To test the theory have a friend or relative use their own iphone or ipad at your home and see if it connects and is fast for the chat app.

If not then it may be your router, your idevices, or even outside interference.

which you say it is not. Did you try the webchat app on an android device? A windows desktop or laptop? Try and see if that is any better.

0 Likes
SteveKs1

I got exactly same symption with Wechat as well as a lot of other apps from China like Weibo(kind like twitter). i don't think the reason is Wechat do not support 5Ghz as i used 5 Ghz in China and is also super fast.

0 Likes
marsilies

I ran into the same issue with WeChat on 5Ghz on the Quantum Gateway. Switching to 2.4Ghz worked.

The only thing I could think of is that the Gateway routes things differently depending on the frequency/protocol used. For example, the 5Ghz band may be using IPv6, while 2.4Ghz sticks with IPv4 for compatbility with older devices.  WeChat works with IPv4, but not well with IPv6.

I found this link that shows people having issues with WeChat on T-Mobile when it's configured to use IPv6:

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/cellular-data-doesnt-work-on-some-app-wechat-however-it-works-pro...

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@marsilies wrote:

I ran into the same issue with WeChat on 5Ghz on the Quantum Gateway. Switching to 2.4Ghz worked.

The only thing I could think of is that the Gateway routes things differently depending on the frequency/protocol used. For example, the 5Ghz band may be using IPv6, while 2.4Ghz sticks with IPv4 for compatbility with older devices.  WeChat works with IPv4, but not well with IPv6.

I found this link that shows people having issues with WeChat on T-Mobile when it's configured to use IPv6:

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/cellular-data-doesnt-work-on-some-app-wechat-however-it-works-pro...

IPv6 is not on Verizon Fios. So that is not the problem.

like I told the original poster the solution is to try it on other devices or even at another friends home that is not on Fios or on Fios but may not have any router issues.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The thing we have to consider here is the quality of the 5Ghz link. Do you happen to have any game consoles or what not on the 5Ghz network, which might clue into whether or not the 5Ghz network is behaving poorly for certain types of activities? The key thing which is going to affect weChat here is latency, and if the 5Ghz radio is properly passing along traffic. It could be delivering 500Mbps in bursts whereas weChat is latency sensitive during it's transfers due to the 250-some milliseconds it already has to cope with going across the Pacific.

I realize most of weChat is hosted within China. I personally use it for keeping in touch with some friends Internationally. Performance can be a bit abysmal at times regardless of what network I'm on. 

On second note, has another device been tested with weChat and the 5Ghz network?

0 Likes