Fios 5g connectivity issues
FiosNoob4823

Hello All,

I had fios installed 2 days ago because I really needed the higher speeds for streaming. All of my tablets and phones recognize and easily connect to both the 2.4 and 5g networks. Both of my Android TV boxes (mbox, qbox) only recognize and connect to the 2.4 speed. I've tried setting my g1100 router/modem to every possible specific channel but to no avail. Is there any other way to get them to recognize 5g?  I've also noticed my connected box upstairs rarely has more than 2 bars (Wi-Fi range). I'm not really noticing a huge lag but I'd prefer better range... Ideas? And finally, the installer suggested I only connect devices that are in one spot like a Tv (rather than a phone which may move throughout the home)  to the 5g network as they don't hold connection as well. I've never heard of that before... Is that really true?  Thanks for taking the time to read/answer. 

0 Likes
Re: Fios 5g connectivity issues
jonjones1
Legend

@FiosNoob4823 wrote:

Hello All,

I had fios installed 2 days ago because I really needed the higher speeds for streaming. All of my tablets and phones recognize and easily connect to both the 2.4 and 5g networks. Both of my Android TV boxes (mbox, qbox) only recognize and connect to the 2.4 speed. I've tried setting my g1100 router/modem to every possible specific channel but to no avail. Is there any other way to get them to recognize 5g?  I've also noticed my connected box upstairs rarely has more than 2 bars (Wi-Fi range). I'm not really noticing a huge lag but I'd prefer better range... Ideas? And finally, the installer suggested I only connect devices that are in one spot like a Tv (rather than a phone which may move throughout the home)  to the 5g network as they don't hold connection as well. I've never heard of that before... Is that really true?  Thanks for taking the time to read/answer. 

Hi:

The designation on either 2.4 Ghz. or 5 Ghz. is dependent on the device and not the wifi on the router. Many computers even newer ones as well as tablets do not have the proper radios to receive the higher speed of 5 Ghz.

in your enviroment the 2.4 Ghz. is for longer distance as steady output. The 5 Ghz. is faster but the rannge is terrible.

Some folks spend money on network extender or wifi only extenders, it is not a necessary evil to purchase one unless connectivity is really bad.

That may be an option you might want to look into.

Good Luck

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can your table/phones connect to 5G network if they are located near your TV?

Keep in mind that 5G does not have the range that 2.4G does.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What Wi-Fi Channel is your 5Ghz network broadcasting on? The router should show this in the Status pages, in addition to a Wi-Fi Analyzer.

If the router is using a DFS channel, some devices cannot use these because they were not certified through the FCC for use with 5Ghz DFS. Which is unfortunate, but is the nature of the beast. Devices which do not support DFS won't be able to see the 5Ghz network provided it is broadcasting on a DFS channel.

Otherwise, it is true in a sense that 5Ghz will suffer more on devices which are on the go. Because it penetrates less through objects and walls, increasing the range of a 5Ghz signal is also accomplished through reflected signals. If you're sealing with a weak signal, the reflections can contribute additional noise to the link. A device which is moving, develops a different reflection pattern as it moves. Which cuases the link to slow down or faill all together if the router and the device cease communications. But on the flip side, assuming you have good density at your house of 5Ghz devices AND of 5Ghz access points, 5Ghz works pretty darn well. I would live by the rule of, give it a try, and if your overall performance is better on 5Ghz while moving around especially, use that. Otherwise, you can just use 2.4Ghz.

Stationary devices, yes, put those on 5Ghz if you can. Use 2.4Ghz if the 5Ghz signal is too weak and slower than the 2.4Ghz signal. Ideally, stationary devices (TVs, Desktop computers, Game Consoles, Cameras, Alarm panels, Wireless Extenders/Repeaters/Access Points) should be wired into the router, so that the Wirelesscan operate more efficiently.

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hi FiosNoob4823:

Think you will find this an interesting resource.

http://www.4gon.co.uk/solutions/technical_factors_affecting_wireless_performance.php

0 Likes