Fios Connection just installed and extremely slow
iJordan
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just had fios internet and cable tv installed roughly 2 hours ago. I was using my new internet which is 15/5. I did a speed test and I was getting 19mb/s download and 4mb/s upload. I am now getting 4.78 mb/s download and 1.92 mb/s upload. I cannot even stream vidoes in 720 without it stopping every few seconds. I have no clue why it changed all of a sudden. I am using a brand new iMac os x 10.6.8. 

Re: Fios Connection just installed and extremely slow
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you using a Wireless or a Wired connection from the Verizon router?

0 Likes
iJordan
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am using a wireless connection

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Temporarily connect your Mac to the router using Ethernet and see if your speed immediately returns. Make sure you disconnect from the wireless first before speed testing.

0 Likes
iJordan
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't have a cable and the router is in the room next to me a good 30 feet away.

iJordan
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here is a screenshot of the speedtest I have done today.

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/3484/screenshot20110811at105.png     <---- upload speed

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/3484/screenshot20110811at105.png      <------ download speed

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

OK. If possible, see if you can find a cable that should have been supplied since we really need to rule out Wireless as being the issue. If not, here's what you should attempt to do:

Log into the Verizon router at http://192.168.1.1/ using admin as the username, and your router's serial number as the password. The serial number is found at the bottom of the router on the sticker giving the WEP key. Once logged into the router, open the Wireless Settings page and then try changing the Wireless channel to 1, 6, or 11. Those are the best channels to use since they do not overlap with others. See which channel gives you the best speed overall. If you get better speeds with any other channel, then use that channel instead.

0 Likes
iJordan
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry it took me a while to get back, I went on vacation. I tried logging in with the serial but it is not letting me it is telling me it is incorrect. Also when I try to type in the password 4 dots pop up for 1 character.

tns
Master - Level 2

Ignore the extra dots.  Its a silly security feature designed to  confuse someone who might be looking over your shoulder.

Try a bunch of passwords

admin/password  -- this was original from manufacturer on earlier firmware

admin/password1 -- this was what Fios installers use to set the routers to

admin/(serial number)  -- this is what FIOS should have pushed out automatically, but I know they screwed mine up.

if none work you can reset the router by pushing in the reset button on the back of the router until the lights all change.  After that it should ask you to enter a new admin id and password.  Choice your own or re-enter the id admin and serial number as password.  Note if not asked use admin/password (this happens if router is on older firmware then currently available).

iJordan
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can't get to the router, its in my roommates room. He was also having problems and getting an extremely slow connection like myself. He hooked his laptop up to it using an ethernet cord and was getting 16mb/s down and 4mb/s up, but after he disconnected and hooked up wirelessly he was still getting slow speeds. Today my internet actually stopped for a good 10 minutes. Is there a way for them to reset the router wirelessly or resend the signal? Also we are supposed to get 15/5 internet which I assume is 15 mb/s down and 5 mb/s up. What speed should we be getting if we are both using the internet or if one of us is playing starcraft 2 online and the other is surfing or streaming netflix?