Fios E3200 extender issue with ethernet backhaul
AndyR83

Hi,

I’ve been trying to research this issue but haven’t had much luck (probably because of how new the E3200 extenders still are.) I’m posting here in the hopes of determining whether others may be experiencing similar challenges and identifying any recommendations that may exist.  

In a nutshell, I’m experiencing very poor speeds when connected to my E3200 extender. This is true whether I utilize a wired or wireless connection to the extender. The best speeds I’m able to achieve are about 37Mbps down / 52Mbps up. For comparison, when connected to my router on the other side of the house (G3100) I get about 450Mbps down / 500Mbps up. These results have been consistently reproduced without exception over the past months that I’ve been using this hardware, despite many hours of scouting all the settings and menus looking for anything that may be the culprit. 

It’s worth noting that I’m using an Ethernet wired backhaul to connect the E3200 extender to my G3100 router. I don’t have a coax outlet in the room where my extender is located, which prompted me to use CAT 6 instead. This does result in a connection (solid white ring on the E3200) but it seems to be limiting the speeds dramatically. 

I have contacted Verizon support a few times, but unfortunately these encounters have not resulted in any suggestions or improvements. I don’t think the front line support teams are familiar with these more recent devices, as it felt like they didn’t really understand my issue whenever I’ve reached out for support. I’d really rather not have to run coax to this end of my house if I can avoid it. If anyone else has any experience with this issue and/or any recommendations I’d appreciate them very much! 

0 Likes
Re: Fios E3200 extender issue with ethernet backhaul
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You definitely shouldn’t have to run coax as the ethernet wire is perfectly fine. I would first make sure the ethernet wire feeding the extender is good. Take it out of the E3200 and connect it to a laptop and see if you are still seeing slow speeds. 
To verify  if the extender has an issue or not, try moving it right next to the G3100 with a 3 foot patch cable and test your wired speeds. 
I the ethernet wire feeding the E3200 has a bad pair it might be connecting at a 100 mbps. 

Gmdodt1

another forum poster said that when he used coax instead of ethernet he got fast speeds.  Something about ethernet backhaul.  Try coax

0 Likes
kcferrick

I was told that the coax cable might need to be changed to a newer version.A technician will come out free of charge because it is Verizon's fault.You must speak with a Verizon technical assistance rep.Make sure you ask someone who knows or it will get exhausting.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

When setting up the extender, did you happen to follow the instructions for setting it up by pressing buttons found on the front of both the router and the extender? Speeds like that sound like the unit is actually using wireless uplink, not Ethernet uplink. Setting it up to use Ethernet uplink should be plug and play, with no button presses required.

Something else I would check is whether or not you're connecting to the 2.4Ghz radio on the extender each time. Those speeds you're getting are also in line with what 2.4Ghz usually accomplishes.

Finally, since the extender has two wired ports, try connecting a device to the other Ethernet port and see what sort of speeds you're getting. If the speeds are the same, disconnect your Ethernet uplink back to the G3100 and see if connectivity is lost.

Edrockvz
Enthusiast - Level 3

Wait, so the e3200 supports Ethernet backhaul? I tried this but it kept disconnecting/reconnecting until I unplugged it. I tested the cable in a laptop and it works fine. 

0 Likes
Spurrell5

IMO the E3200 is junk. Currently on my 2nd one (service couldn’t identify why my original one wouldn’t work) and then they had sent a Verizon technician come out and still does not operate correctly. Mine is hard wired via coax and this somehow “blocks” the WiFi. The moment the e3200 is unplugged WiFi works fine (yes it is installed correctly and a Verizon service technician verified the install). Apparently there are over 300+ “suspect” units in my area that do not work properly and Verizon doesn’t not know why. “Apparently” they get an email whenever one stops operating correctly. The WiFi constantly goes in and out and needs to be hard reset multiple times per day (makes it almost impossible to work from home). This has only been an issue the moment we upgraded to the new g3100 and e3200 units Just figured I’d share. IMO Verizon released a product that still has way to many issues/bugs that should’ve been resolved in R&D yet they decided to rush it to market. TBH you’re better off going to a 3rd party for a WiFi extender or even moving over to Comcast. 

0 Likes
abe_16

Has Verizon fixed this ethernet backhaul issue with the E3200 extender? I want to get the E3200 extender and connect it via ethernet to my G3100, but I don't plan on doing so if devices connecting to the E3200 will be getting slow speeds.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello abe_16, what problems are you experiencing?

When you backhaul the E3200 with Ethernet, can you verify the link speed in either G3100 or E3200's web interface? Go to G3100's web interface > Advanced > Port Configuration > see Ethernet port connecting to the E3200 should be 1000Mbps auto-negotiate.

My steps are based on G1100 router. Steps may differ, but no significantly, on G3100 router.

I hope this helps.

abe_16

Hi Cang_Household, I haven't purchased the E3200 yet. I have read on this forum and other forums that many folks who connected the E3200 via ethernet to the G3100 experienced slow speeds on devices connected to the E3200 via WiFi. I am checking to see if there has been a firmware update that fixes this issue or some setting that has been confirmed to fix the issue before I buy the E3200. Thanks

0 Likes