Fios G1100 Router and Asus router for NAS
secretsanta1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello,

I'm attempting to slave my asus router to the G1100 as I need my WD HDD connected to the ASUS. The ASUS has a USB (which it appears the G1100 ports are disabled or useless). Then I can run a server for my HDD (media) around the network.

Currently, I've attached the Asus to the G1100 in slot 1 ethernet. G1100 shows it connected, but i'm  unable to connect to the IP the G1100 gives it.

Is there a bridge function I need to do, or how do I go about doing this? Thank you.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fios G1100 Router and Asus router for NAS
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Unless you've changed the default settings, the ASUS is setup as a home router and is providing IP addresses to devices connected to it's LAN by Ethernet or WiFi.  You need to disable it's DHCP server and assign it's GUI a static IP on the G1100.

Before you start this process, make sure  you know how to factory reset the Asus using a button or external control.  If something doesn't go right, you may not be able to connect to the Asus until you factory reset it.

To do this, disconnect the Asus from the G1100.  Connect a computer to the Asus's LAN via Ethernet or WiFi.  You should then be able to access it's GUI on whatever it's default IP address is (consult the Asus docs, if needed).  Then, figure out how to turn off it's DHCP server.  Next, find where the router's own IP address is configured and change that to an  available IP address on the G1100's LAN.

Turn off the Asus.  Connect an Ethernet cable between the G1100 and Asus.  Power the Asus back up.  It's GUI should now be available on the IP address you configured above.  You should now create a static IP entry in the G110 to make sure the IP address isn't assigned to any other device.

There are many ways to solve this problem.  Here's another approach:
https://www.dslreports.com/faq/12506

Enjoy.

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you connect to WAN or LAN port of the ASUS from G1100?

If you connected to WAN, did ASUS give HDD an IP on the same subnet or different?

If different, that is why you can't connect.

You can try putting asus in bridge mode, but then will have to see if it will assign IP to USB port.

secretsanta1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I tried both lan and wan. Problem is I couldn't connect to the Asus gui at all. Maybe the g1100 and Asus router are the same ip? 

Do I have to setup Asus and USB drive first then connect? I'll try that and connect to wan.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Unless you've changed the default settings, the ASUS is setup as a home router and is providing IP addresses to devices connected to it's LAN by Ethernet or WiFi.  You need to disable it's DHCP server and assign it's GUI a static IP on the G1100.

Before you start this process, make sure  you know how to factory reset the Asus using a button or external control.  If something doesn't go right, you may not be able to connect to the Asus until you factory reset it.

To do this, disconnect the Asus from the G1100.  Connect a computer to the Asus's LAN via Ethernet or WiFi.  You should then be able to access it's GUI on whatever it's default IP address is (consult the Asus docs, if needed).  Then, figure out how to turn off it's DHCP server.  Next, find where the router's own IP address is configured and change that to an  available IP address on the G1100's LAN.

Turn off the Asus.  Connect an Ethernet cable between the G1100 and Asus.  Power the Asus back up.  It's GUI should now be available on the IP address you configured above.  You should now create a static IP entry in the G110 to make sure the IP address isn't assigned to any other device.

There are many ways to solve this problem.  Here's another approach:
https://www.dslreports.com/faq/12506

Enjoy.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

I should also add that if you connect G1100 LAN to Asus WAN, devices on the Asus will have internet connectivity with no further configuration needed.  However, the Asus devices will not be able to see any devices on the G1100 LAN nor will G1100 devices be able to see anything on the Asus LAN.  You’ll have two completely different networks.

Probably not the solution you want, but it is easy to setup.  Just plug and go.

Enjoy.