Fios G1100 router cannot connect to Canon wireless printers
Pappydsp
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon recently replaced an ailing fios quantum router with another fios quantum router.  Since the new router was put into service my two Canon printers fail to connect to the network on iPhone and Android.  Both printers have valid I.P. addresses and will connect to the network if the network is stopped and restarted.   The connection does not last very long after the restart.

When I search for a printer on my Android phone on the Canon Print app the I.P. address is blank but the MAC address appears and seems to be valid.  The search for a printer just causes my phone to clock with no connection.  I suspect the problem lies with the router since it was not a problem with the old quantum G1100.  Any help in resolving is appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fios G1100 router cannot connect to Canon wireless printers
Scipio1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Though this reply is too late for the original post and might not have fixed that problem, maybe it will be of some use to others.  I was unable to connect over wifi to a new Canon printer that successfully connected to my Fios router.  Though the printer was connected via wifi to the router (printer screens confirmed this), I couldn't print to it or ping it from my laptop.  The router was set with the 2.4 Ghz band in Performance Mode (N).  I changed this to Compatibility Mode (B/G/N).  No other changes were made on printer, laptop or router, and now everything works as it should.

View solution in original post

Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

It could be the new router, but I'd be more suspicious that the new router's configuration is just different than your old one.

For example, is it possible that within the configuration of the old router you had reserved specific IP addresses for the printer's wireless (by its MAC address)? The Quantum router supports that, and if you set this up a long while back it's pretty easy to forget. 

I don't know about your specific printers, but I have mine at specific IPs just because my laptops and desktops couldn't find the printers if their IP address happened to change. (These are HP and Brother printers, so YMMV.) I'd also check to make sure the printers are using DHCP instead of a fixed IP address (or if you prefer using fixed IPs, that you change the DHCP range served by the G1100 so those IP addresses aren't in it).

If you still have the old router (and it still at least works enough to get to the administration screens, perhaps you could connect a laptop to one of the LAN ports on the old router (wired would be easier for this I think), use another machine to open the admin pages on the new router, and look at the configuration of the two routers side by side to see if there are any significant differences. 

Pappydsp
Enthusiast - Level 3

That seems logical BUT...if the original I.P./MAC addresses were the route cause, why would the printers become connected on the iPhone and Android phones after the network Wi-Fi was re-started?  Once the network was restarted both printers become visible and can be used normally until you close out the app.  It would seem that if the I.P. and MAC addresses were faulty how could the printers be able to connect at all?

0 Likes
Pappydsp
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Pappydsp wrote:

That seems logical BUT...if the original I.P./MAC addresses were the route cause, why would the printers become connected on the iPhone and Android phones after the network Wi-Fi was re-started?  Once the network was restarted both printers become visible and can be used normally until you close out the app.  It would seem that if the I.P. and MAC addresses were faulty how could the printers be able to connect at all?

Forgot to add - One printer is on DHCP server the other on IP address and neither have any affect on the problem.  The old router had to be returned to Verizon and unable to compare settings.  I've changed both printers to different IP's and back to DHCP with no improvement.  They now remain as described above.  Thanks for your suggestions.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

This may be a long shot, but recently I had to install my mother in laws printers at her home (she has 3 of them) after I purchased another router/modem for her.

what must be done and I know it may sound silly is to run the installation program or cd to set the printers up as new. Now she has 1 canon and 2 HP all in ones around her home and it cured her loss of connection issues. 

I will point out that I had to use not only the install cd or install program from the internet sites but the Setup cable as well.

but it fixed the issue. On set up you choose the method of access. I chose the network name and it setup perfectly.

Pappydsp
Enthusiast - Level 3

Since the problem started I replaced one of the printers with a new and different Canon printer.  Installed the new one as you described and still get the same problem.  The connection problem surfaces when our iPhone, iPad, and Samsung S7 attempts to use the printers.  The printers always work well over the Wi-fi from a laptop and a desk top computer.  Again, once I restart the network on the devices, the printers become connected and will work flawlessly until you stop printing from those 3 devices.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

I use Apple products like iPhone’s and iPads and I do have a google nexus tablet and many other devices that use air play. Nothing at our home is direct usb connected.

on the Apple devices I would go into the WiFi settings and select all your known networks and select forget to wipe out the SSID from the devices.

then turn each phone and tablet off and back on.

select the proper WiFi SSID and connect. This may hold and your issue will be solved.

i know sometimes it is lost when I look for my printers. But I swipe down and it refreshes. 

As a last resort you could go into the router settings and set the printers on their own IP address 

Pappydsp
Enthusiast - Level 3

Problem still exists but thanks to all who tried to help.

0 Likes
Scipio1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Though this reply is too late for the original post and might not have fixed that problem, maybe it will be of some use to others.  I was unable to connect over wifi to a new Canon printer that successfully connected to my Fios router.  Though the printer was connected via wifi to the router (printer screens confirmed this), I couldn't print to it or ping it from my laptop.  The router was set with the 2.4 Ghz band in Performance Mode (N).  I changed this to Compatibility Mode (B/G/N).  No other changes were made on printer, laptop or router, and now everything works as it should.