Fios-G1100 router
Jon1001
Enthusiast - Level 2
My new Fios-G1100 router only wireless connects to one iPad using 5G. My new iPhone 6 connects using 2.4G. What is the problem? How can I get it to use 5G? I also have another iPad using 2.4G, but it is a couple of years old, so it may not support 5G. But I don't know for sure.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fios-G1100 router
Jon1001
Enthusiast - Level 2
I set my 2.4G to n only and everything works fine.
My thanks to everyone for their assistance.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I don't have any hands on experience with the new Gateway router but with my existing hardware I have 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz configured with different SSIDs.  I assume that's possible with the G1100 router.

There are differing opinions on which is preferable....both networks with the same SSID or different SSIDs.   Different names works for me because it allows me to be sure which network I'm connected to, and I can manually select a different network if I want to.

You might try that...set the 5 GHz network to a different SSID. You'd then be able to manually to go setting on your iPhone 6 and select that 5 GHz name...and password.

Justin46
Legend

I have my G1100 configured with different SSIDs for the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands. The reason is the same as what eljefe said, it allows me to be specific which band each of my devices connects on.

One thing I have not experienced but have seen reported is that if you let the router auto-select the channel on the 5 GHz band, that some devices may have trouble connecting or staying connectred, the router sometimes apparently changes channels even while in use and some devices seem to have trouble following. The solution is to configure the router to use a specific channel on that band rather than let it automatically select the channel. Based on what I read I went and set a specific channel, no problems for me. It probably really doesn't matter what channel you pick unless you are in a very high density area, as very few people seem to really be using the 5 GHz band - definitely very few where I am.

Hope this helps.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

Jon1001
Enthusiast - Level 2
I've done a LOT of tests. What you both said works; however, what I have found out is that if both SSIDs are the same, the devices seem to automatically select the one with the strongest signal. Which seems to have a advantage because 5G signals don't seem to go easily through different parts of my house, i.e., they are very weak in my basement [man cave]. This seems to be the main problem.
I have tried setting 5G to a specific channel, but that doesn't seem to be my problem--just a weak signal.
I'm not sure if 5G with a weak signal is faster or slower that 2.4G with a strong signal, but that seems to be the way it works.
0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

You've run into a physical limitation of 5 GHz signals....they don't penetrate solid objects well.  That can actually be an advantage in that 5 GHz is less prone to interference from other sources.

You can use speedtest.net to determine which band suits you best in your man cave.   FWIW, on my iPhone 6 I see about 50/50 on my 802.11n network and ~80/80 on 802.11AC.  That being when the phone is in the same room as my router.  Plan is 75/75.

If you need the higher speed downstairs and you're not getting it now, you could consider adding an additional wireless accesspoint in the cave.  Got coax running to a TV down there already?  That would make it really easy. 

Jon1001
Enthusiast - Level 2
I guess I'm disappointed. I thought 5G was supposed to give me greater coverage--not less. If I have to be in the same room, why do I need WiFi at all--Ethernet works at full speed.
BTW I still can't figure out how to modify the protocol selection . Can someone give me a clue? Maybe by changing the 2.4G setting I will get better results. I really don't think I have anything old enough to require "compatibility mode".
0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

You should be able to change your 2.4 GHz settings to 802.11n only.   If you find  you do have a device that needs the compatiblity setting you can always go back and change it.

As for being in the same room, I was just saying that when I'm in the same room as the router I get the speeds I mentioned and there is no degradation of the 5 GHz signal because of poor wall penetration.   When I'm in other areas of the house, I'll sometimes find 802.11n is faster and other times .11AC is faster.  Generally I just leave my portable devices on my 802.11n SSID for consistancy.

If you want or need to use wifi where you already have an Ethernet feed, and you want or need the higher speeds you can get with 802.11AC, you can install a second wireless access point to provide the coverage your want.  I use that configuration to provide fast Ethernet service in our basement..  In my case I'm using an Actiontec WCB3000N since we already have coax feeding a TV down there.

Works great.  Lasts a long time.

Jon1001
Enthusiast - Level 2
I set my 2.4G to n only and everything works fine.
My thanks to everyone for their assistance.
0 Likes